Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Baked Chicken Arabiatta

 Hi, this recipe is from the BBC GoodFood Magazine, September 2020 issue. I received a subscription to their magazine as a birthday present from my parents and I have been loving the recipes so far and am always eager for the next issue. Alternatively, you can view all their recipes, for free!, on their website. Here is a link to the original recipe for the chicken arabiatta. Before I begin, I just wanted to mention that I was halfway through my meal before I remembered to take a picture of the chicken, so that it why there is only 1 drumstick and a small amount of tomatoes and pasta in the corner of a plate; I had already eaten the rest! Now, back to recipe tips, I substituted the chicken thighs for drumsticks as my younger sister is slightly picky about which she will eat and it worked fine, the only thing I would say is because I serve about 2 drumsticks per person, we had a packet of 10 so I cooked all of them, just when frying, at the start of the recipe, it took longer than 5mins as I had to do it in two batches. Also, there was a lot of this meal, we had enough leftover for an extra portion. However, had I been doing it with chicken thighs I would not have had any chicken left, but there was enough pasta and tomato sauce for one more meal. Enjoy!!







Dietary Info:
-Dairy Free
-No Nuts
-Contains Gluten {You could substitute the pasta for a gluten-free alternative}
-Unsuitable for Vegetarians {Switch the chicken thighs for braised tofu, vege or Quorn sausages or you could try using some lentils or chickpeas, falafel or vege meatballs would be nice as well...}
-Unsuitable for Vegans {See above}

Serves 4 {with leftovers}
Prep: 15mins {I took a bit longer, closer to 30mins}
Cook: 1hr
Suitable for freezing (Goodfood tip: To reheat, defrost thoroughly and put in the oven, covered with foil at 200℃/180℃ fan/390℉/Gas 6 for 20-25mins or until piping hot all the way through.

Good To Know:
-Healthy
-Folate
-Fibre
-Vitamin C
-Iron
-3 of your 5-a-day

Per Serving:
Calories: 589kcal
Fat: 17g
Saturates: 4g
Carbs: 62g
Sugars: 14g
Fibre: 9g
Protein: 36g
Salt: 0.5g

Ingredients:
-
1tbsp oil {I used extra virgin olive oil}
-4 skin on chicken legs {Or use drumsticks, I serve 2 per person}
-1 red onion, sliced {NOT DICED!!}
-1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
-1 heaped tsp chilli flakes {I lowered this as my sister is not a fan of spicy food, so I added a pinch of this super spicy chilli powder we have been given from one of my dad's friends, it was made with homegrown chillies and added a really nice kick}
-2 large garlic cloves, crushed {I did 3 medium, finely chopped}
-200ml white wine {I used Tesco Australian Chardonnay}
-2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes {I couldn't find these so I used 400g cherry tomatoes, halved and 1x400g tin chopped tomatoes}
-3 oregano sprigs {I used 1/2-1tbsp mixed dried herbs}
-150ml chicken stock {I made mine with half a stock cube}
-200g fresh spinach
-pinch of sugar
-300g pasta {I used fusili}

Method:
1:
Heat the oven to 200℃/180℃/390℉/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat {It will need to be quite deep as you make the sauce in it afterwards}. Season the chicken and fry, skin side down {If doing chicken drumsticks make sure to rotate them to make them golden brown all over} for 5mins until golden brown. {However, if it is still a little pink after 10mins don't worry, stop frying them as they will cook in the oven when baked.} . Remove and set aside.
2: Tip the onion and pepper into the pan and fry for 10mins until softened {I only needed about 5mins on a high heat}. Add the chilli and garlic, and fry for another minute. Pour in the wine, then simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced by half. Tip in the tomatoes, oregano, stock, spinach and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10mins. Season.
3: Pour the sauce into a medium roasting tin {I used a large oven proof dish}. Nestle in the chicken and bake for 35-40mins until cooked through. {Halfway through, I covered my chicken in foil and also turned up the temperature to full blast, just to make sure the chicken was cooked all the way through}. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions {Mine took about 15mins}. Scatter the oregano leaves over the chicken and serve with the pasta.


Comments

Popular Posts