Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Minestrone Soup

Hi, this recipe is from 'Vegetarian Kitchen' by Sarah Brown on pg 32. It was really simple to make and required little attention from me during the 40+ mins simmering, I only had to stir once in the middle and again at the end of the first simmering. Although, I did need to add some more water/stock to the soup as a lot of mine had simmered away! I am going to be taking this for packed lunches in a thermos flask with some bread and butter on the side and some fruit and yogurt afterwards. But, it can be served immediately, if doing this you will want to cook the pasta fully or heated up at home for whenever you have need for it. As well as this, this soup can be frozen, but if you are freezing I would suggest not adding the pasta as when you re-heat, it will be overdone, sometimes, this can't be helped, such as for me as I made the whole thing and will just reheat portions for each day, but if it can be avoided, the soup may be nicer with a more al dente pasta. The soup for me had a very nice tomato-ey base for the soup, which would work nicely, if a little thicker, as a nice base for spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne tomato and meat sauces as well, in my opinion. I really liked all the herbs in it as well, I used only dried, but fresh work well too. This could be served as a starter or a main with bread and butter, it is up to you. If you make this let me know how it goes for you, did you change anything? Enjoy!




*Dietary Info:
-Vegan {If using veggie stock and serving with a vegan butter on the bread}
-Vegetarian {If using veggie stock}
-Contains Gluten {Use a G-F alternative to bread and pasta}
-No Nuts
-Dairy-Free {Make sure to use a vegan butter, if serving with bread}



Ingredients:
-1 small onion {I used a pretty big onion}
-1 clove of garlic {I used 3}
-2 sticks celery, chopped
-1tbsp oil (preferably olive)  {I used extra virgin olive oil}
-1x400g (14oz) tin of tomatoes, liquidised {I just used chopped tomatoes and didn't bother liquidising them to add a chunky texture, if you don't have a blender and don't want a chunky, tomato soup, use tomato passata}
-1 bay leaf {I didn't use this as we didn't have any in}
-1/2tsp dried oregano {I used 1/2tsp, dried mixed herbs that contained oregano}
-2tsp fresh basil or 1tsp dried {I used dried}
-1/2tsp fresh rosemary or 1/4tsp dried {I used dried}
-75g (3oz) green pepper, de-seeded and diced {I just used 1 whole green pepper}
-75g (3oz) carrot, diced {I just used one carrot}
-900ml (1+1/2 pints) stock {I used chicken stock, made with 2 stock cubes, but check your packet for instructions}
-2tbsp tomato puree {I used Tescos tomato and garlic puree}
-25g (1oz) noodles, spaghetti or short cut macaroni {I used macaroni}
-1tsp salt
-1 dessertspoon soy sauce
-freshly ground pepper, to taste
-1tbsp fresh parsley {I used dried}

Method:
1: Gently fry the onion, garlic and celery in the oil in a large saucepan for 10mins to soften them.
{If you want it to take 10mins, you will want to do this over a low heat, with a pinch of salt in the pan, this will help it not to brown too quickly and burn. However, if you are low on time, then you can fry over a high heat, but the base will not be as flavourful. Also, I recommend softening the onion for a couple of minutes first before adding the garlic as the smaller pieces often cook faster}

2: Then, add the tomatoes, herbs, vegetables {Carrots and pepper} , stock and tomato puree. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 40mins in a covered pan. {I stirred halfway through and before starting step 3, added a dash more water to the pan because mine had evaporated}

3: Now, add the pasta, salt and soy sauce and pepper and simmer uncovered for about 15mins.  {If serving immediately, do this. But, because I am going to be reheating throughout the week for lunches, then, I just added the pasta and took it off the heat. This is because I don't want my pasta too over cooked}

4: Stir in the parsley and serve immediately.

While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/1ycURbL


Comments

Popular Posts