Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Jamie Oliver's 1 2 3 Traybake Range at Tesco || REVIEW

Hi, this week I'll be taking on a different style of post, I will still be sort of reviewing the recipes but I'll include other helpful insights that my family and I found when making these traybakes. For example, flavour and ease of access and price. 

Overall, I was pleased with this range, it offers enough variety for you not to get bored and can even be a fun activity to engage everyone in cooking. For example, everyone gets to pick a different combination of foods each week, say week 1 Dad gets to pick the combination of hero, base and sauce, the next week Hazel. This will make the meals more appealing to all in your household if they got to create the meal themselves.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)



What is it?

The Jamie Oliver  1 2 3 traybake range is a collaboration between Jamie Oliver and Tesco. The popular chef hopes to make healthy eating and cooked dinners accessible to all. He does this by ensuring every traybake contains at least 2 of your 5-a-day per portion and is cooked in 30mins. So, you get bags of nutrients in, with only a short period of cooking time. Plus, minimal washing up with every traybake requiring only one pan! By creating this range, he is making more people able to eat a delicious meal with only a small amount of effort. This will hopefully stop people from ordering in so much fast food for ease, when they realise how easy it can be to cook from home with this new traybake range, this will improve the countries health massively in the long term.

The traybake consists of 3 parts and serves 4 people:
1) A Base
2) A Hero
3) A Sauce

You pick one of each base, hero and sauce to create your meal. See bottom for suggestions.



Price Range?

Each base is £3.50, each hero is £5 and each sauce is £2.75, which is a total of £11.25 for a meal for 4, so about £2.80 per person. However, if you have a Tesco Clubcard, by purchasing this meal you not only collect club-card points but also get money off this particular meal deal. So, with a club-card base + hero + sauce is only £8, so £2 per person. A meal for 4 people, with good sized portions, for only £8 is a good deal and one I recommend you invest in if you're short of time, on a budget or want to try more cooked meals but aren't sure where to start.

If you do decide to purchase the range, I suggest you do make the traybakes as it isn't such a good deal when buying parts separately. 



Ease of Access:

The range is very easy to shop instore in Tesco as it all in one aisle/end of aisle together, which makes it easy to pick up all your parts in one go. Obviously, if you don't have a local Tesco then it will be harder to access, and I am unsure whether this range is available in Tesco Express (mini Tesco). But, I can say for sure it in the large Tesco's. 

This is an example of the packaging looks like, so you know what you're looking for:

Image from Tesco Website



Flavours / Meal Combo's Inspiration:

The overall flavour of these meals were quite good. Obviously they were not gourmet cooking, but for what they are, they were nice and we enjoyed having them. I think if I was being picky some could've had a bit more seasoning in them, and a few we tried felt similar. But, that's only very minor things, and for the price and design of them, I couldn't ask for anything more. Each combination we tried worked, which was very nice and requires a lot of planning for them to make each possible combination be tasty.


This is what we tried:

1 - (Base) Herby baby potatoes & veg, (Hero) Lemon & herb seasoned salmon chunks and (Sauce) Veg-packed tomato sauce.

For our first traybake, we were off to a great start, I particularly enjoyed the salmon with the sauce, it was nicely cooked and the salmon moist, the sauce rich and thick. 

2 - (Base) Sweet & smoky wedges, (Hero) Lemon & herb chicken breast chunks and (Sauce) Smoky tomato sauce.

I love this combo! I thought the smokiness of the wedges and tomato sauce was amazing. I do enjoy sweet potato quite a lot though, so maybe slightly biased on how nice this one was. 

3 - (Base) Lovely lentil & bean pasta , (Hero) Beef & veg mighty meatballs and (Sauce) Creamy tomato and butternut sauce.

I really liked the bean and pasta mix, it was really tasty. I thought the meatballs and sauce combo was a good one, and one we should definitely repeat.

4 - (Base) Lovely lentil & bean pasta, (Hero) Herby pork & veg chipolatas and (Sauce) Veg-packed tomato sauce.

For the final review combination, this was a good one. I particularly enjoyed the sausages and even used them separately in my sausage broth recipe. This would've been nice without the sauce as well, I think if you had some fresh veg in, you could boil/steam/roast it to serve with the sausage and bean pasta, for a twist.



While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile


Comments

Popular Posts