Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Fish Puttanesca

 Hi, this recipe is from Tesco's January 2022 magazine, page 43 or find online here. Also, I have a  Vegan recipe for a Quick Puttanesca by BOSH! already on my blog if you want to give that a go too.

This recipe was definitely a success for me as everyone in my family liked it! This means that we will likely be making it again at some point. Also, it was really easy and quick to make: a simple sauce and the fish needed basically no attention until the end of cooking. It is a great meal for when you don't have any preparation time.

Additionally, it is very easy to switch a few things around and still be left with similar flavours: different pasta shapes and varieties, you could even layer the tomato and fish sauce between lasagne layers if you liked and top with some cheese, I think a feta cheese sauce would be nice, different fish fillets: (I used cod) salmon, haddock, tuna etc... and different herbs to parsley would all work great e.g. mixed herbs, basil, thyme... So, it really can be made with a ton of different ingredients, you needn't even use fish.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)





Dietary Info:

-Main Meal

-Dairy Free

-No Nuts

-Contains Gluten

{Serve with rice or use a gluten-free pasta, the shape doesn't really matter.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See recipe at top of page for a veggie alternative, or pop a tin of chickpeas into the sauce or use some plant-based 'chicken' alternative pieces.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See above.}


Serves: 4

Takes: 30mins


Ingredients:

-520g pack frozen white fish fillets {I used slightly less fish than this, but as long as you have at least one decent sized fillet per person, it will be okay.} 

-2 tbsp olive oil

-2 garlic cloves, sliced {I used 4 garlic cloves as I enjoy a garlicky flavour in pasta sauces.}

-50g black olives, drained {I used green olives.}

-2 tbsp capers, drained

-400g tin chopped tomatoes

-300g spaghetti

-10g fresh parsley, finely chopped

-1 lemon, zested {I bought a lemon but it had got a bit funny by the time I needed it so I had to leave this out.}


IF YOU DON'T HAVE CHOPPED TOMATOES, CHOP UP A TIN OF PLUM TOMATOES INSTEAD.


Method:

1: Preheat the oven to gas 7 / 220°C / fan 200°C / 430℉. Put the frozen fish on a lined baking tray, {Or you could wrap the fish in parcels of tin foil and bake. It may take 5 - 10mins longer, but it you don't have any baking paper, it's a good alternative. Also, make sure your baking tray has a lip on the edge, otherwise the fish juices will run off into your oven and make it smell.} season well and drizzle over 1 tbsp oil. {I would suggest putting the oil on the fish first so the seasoning has something to stick too, try to add more pepper than salt because fish is naturally salty.} Bake for 15-20 mins until cooked through and flaky.

2: Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan over a low heat and fry the garlic for 1-2 mins until lightly golden. Add the olives, capers and chopped tomatoes with half a tin of water. {200ml.} Bring to a bubble over a medium heat, then simmer gently for 10 mins. Season well.

3: At the same time, cook the spaghetti to pack instructions. Drain well, reserving 50ml of the pasta water.

4: {I served the fish fillets separately as that was the preference with my family.} When the fish is cooked, drain of any water from the tray and break the fish into chunky pieces with a spatula. Tip the drained spaghetti into the tomato sauce and toss together, adding a splash of the pasta water if needed for the sauce to coat the spaghetti. Add the fish and toss again gently to keep some large chunks of fish. Scatter over the parsley and lemon zest to serve. {I served with some peas as well.}


While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/3HLeVjN

Comments

Popular Posts