Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Garam Masala Vegetable Curry

Hi, this recipe is from BBC GoodFood's September 2022 issue, page 63 or find online here. This recipe is part of their microwave cooking collection and was in the magazine because they were showing how microwaves can use less energy than ovens. But, we don't own a microwave so I have included a modified recipe below, for those of you, like me, without a microwave.

This curry was really tasty and full of spices. I used fresh ginger and garlic, and added a fresh red chilli (finely chopped, seeds included) while cooking too, and I think these really helped to boost the flavour. I doubled the recipe to serve 4 people and it made a lot, so we froze a tubful for putting atop jacket potatoes at a later date. 

I served this with plain rice but my Dad thinks also serving with a naan would be good as the curry has a 'nice scooping consistency'. He also was very complimentary about the spicing in it as it wasn't too hot for him, even with an added red chilli. He enjoyed having it alongside some extra crème fraîche to serve (as I didn't use coconut milk out of his preference for less creamy curries). My Mum had the curry alongside some mango chutney, which would be especially nice with a naan too.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***

***


Dietary Info:

-Main Meal 

{If served with rice, potatoes, naan etc.. Essentially any starchy carbohydrate.}

-Suitable for Vegans

-Suitable for Vegetarians

-Gluten Free

-Dairy Free

-No Nuts

{Except coconut which you can switch for olive or vegetable oil, and the milk for a thick, plain yogurt.}


Serves: 2 {I doubled everything for 4.}

Prep: 10mins

Cook: 10mins {If cooking on the hob/stove, it will take about 30 mins to cook, but you can extend this by simmering it for longer on a low heat to develop the flavours (another way of doing this is to make it in advance and just let it sit until needed, then reheat). I ended up simmering ours for about 25 mins.}


Ingredients:

-1 tbsp coconut oil

-1/2 onion, finely chopped {I used brown, but red or brown works fine.}

-1 tsp ginger paste {If making in a pan, you can use 1/2 thumb fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped / grated. I am not sure if it would work in a microwave though.}

-1 tsp garlic paste {I used (for 4 people) about 4 small cloves of garlic, so for 2 people you should use 2. Again, I don't know if fresh garlic will be okay in a microwave.}

-1 tbsp tomato purée

-1/2 tsp turmeric paste or 1 tsp ground turmeric {I used ground turmeric.} 

-2 tsp garam masala

-1/2 tsp cumin

-1/2 tsp ground coriander

-400g can chopped tomatoes

-50g baby spinach leaves, washed {I used some frozen spinach. I put it in at the end while it was simmering. In a microwave, I don't know how this would affect cooking times - if all you have is frozen, you can always cook it in a pan on a hob and just stir through the curry.}

-400g can chickpeas, drained {I didn't drain my chickpeas because I didn't add all the liquid stated in the recipe. I left out the 100ml coconut milk because my Dad isn't a fan of creamy curries.}

-100ml coconut milk {I stirred through some crème fraîche instead.}

-1 tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to garnish

-1 tsp lime juice

-basmati rice or naan, to serve {I served with basmati rice and extra crème fraîche on the table.}


Method:

1: Put the coconut oil in a microwavable dish or bowl and cook for 30 seconds or until melted. Add the chopped onion, stir well and cook for another 1 min.

{Melt the coconut oil in a pan (either a wok or a sauce pan or a frying pan with deep enough sides that it will be able to hold the curry sauce). Then, add the chopped onion and cook until soft.}

2: Add the ginger, garlic, tomato purée, turmeric, spices and a good pinch of salt to the cooked onions. Stir well and cook for 1 min to warm up the spices – you will be able to smell them when you open the microwave.

{Add the ginger, garlic, tomato puree, turmeric, spices and a good pinch of salt (and pepper) to the pan (with the onions in it). Stir well and cook until the garlic and ginger is soft. You might want to add the garlic and ginger first {and chilli if using} and cook this down a bit, before adding the rest.}

3: Add the tomatoes, spinach leaves, chickpeas, coconut milk and chopped coriander, and stir well. Cook for 2 mins, then stir again, followed by another 2 mins. The curry should be bubbling slightly. If not, give it another minute.

{Add the tomatoes, spinach leaves, chickpeas, coconut milk (if using yogurt, don't add yet as it will split. Instead stir through, or blob on top, just before serving.) and chopped coriander, and stir well. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 - 15 mins (cover the pan if too much liquid is lost), or leave to cool and let the flavours develop overnight / next day before reheating to serve.}

4: Add the lime juice and serve immediately, with basmati rice or naan bread on the side and a sprinkling of coriander leaves



While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/1v17ipU

Comments

Popular Posts