Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Garlic Cannellini Bean Spaghetti with Courgette

Hi, this recipe is from Co-op's free Food magazine issue 64 from February 2020 on page 27. It can also be accessed online here. This recipe was alright as the garlic didn't come through that much and I couldn't get the courgettes to go crispy or golden as there is a lot of  water in the vegetable and I had to drain some of the moisture out of the frying pan in order to even fry them a little bit, so there wasn't much a variety of textures. Next time, I would recommend maybe wrapping them in a tea towel and squeezing out all of the water into a bowl or the sink and you may get a better result. As well as this, I would recommend either reducing the amount of stock in it or simmering it a bit more than stated as my sauce was a little runny but it wasn't a huge problem. However, the end product wasn't awful but next time I would do some things differently. Also, my parents added feta to theirs and said it made it a lot nicer but if you're vegan obviously don't, though there are a huge range of vegan cheeses out there now that you could add instead. Additionally, this is great to try if you are doing Vegan- uary this year and I hope you enjoy!!


Dietary Info:
-Vegan
-Vegetarian
-Contains Nuts (Can easily be omitted from recipe, although if you want a crunch add some crispy breadcrumbs or croutons on top instead)
-Contains Gluten (Use a G-F pasta, such as chickpea as a substitute)
-Dairy-Free

Feeds: 4
Ready in 35mins
1 of your 5-a-day per serving
Low in saturated fats

The nutrition info is from Co-op site not myself.





Ingredients:
-1 garlic bulb
-400g Co-op spaghetti {I used 220g}
-3 courgettes, peeled into ribbons {I used 2 as I thought 3 was a bit extreme but if you want the 5-a-day benefits you may need to use all of them to get the correct amount of nutrients into the 1/4 portion}
-2 tbsp Co-op olive oil {I used Extra-virgin olive oil}
-1 small onion, finely chopped {I used more of a medium onion but it didn't make much difference}
-1 tsp Co-op plain flour
-400g can Co-op cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
-500ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube {I used a vegetable stock pot}
-Zest and juice of 1 lemon
-200g frozen Co-op British garden peas
-4 tbsp chopped parsley leaves {I used dried mixed herbs}
-2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted, to serve

Method:
1:Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6/390℉. Put the garlic bulb on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-25 mins, {I did 25mins} or until the cloves are soft and tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
2:Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions, saving a little water when you drain it. While it’s cooking, toss the courgette with half the oil and season. Fry over a high heat in a frying pan for 1-2 mins, until golden, then set aside. Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion for 2 mins. Stir in the flour, cook for 1 min, then take off the heat.
3:Make a sauce: put the cannellini beans and stock in a saucepan, simmer for 2 mins, then whizz until smooth, using a hand blender. Squeeze in the roasted garlic, add the onion, season and stir. Simmer for 3-4 mins to thicken slightly, then add the lemon juice, peas and half the parsley. Cook for 2-3 mins until the peas are tender.
4:Toss the spaghetti with the sauce, adding a little reserved pasta water to loosen if needed. Stir in the courgette then serve, sprinkled with the lemon zest, pine nuts and remaining parsley.

Comments

  1. my name is (cough) goelJanuary 11, 2021 at 1:14 AM

    Nice i might try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if you do, I hope you like it (cough) goel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts