Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Braised Pork Belly with Borlotti Beans

Hi, this recipe was from the BBC GoodFood magazine, September 2020 issue page 77, it can also be found online here.  This dish was delicious and was nice and comforting on a cold day. It is like a traditional stew, but uses a different meat and adds some beans as well to make it a bit of a new thing and a treat. Not to say traditional stews aren't great, like my bangin beef stew, just it was nice to have a change. My family loved it because it wasn't like the stews we normally have and was really tasty. This could easily be made Vegan and Vegetarian and can be adapted to suit whatever you have in your fridge/cupboards/freezer at the moment. Have fun and enjoy!!


Suitable for Freezing
Serves 4 {We found we had leftovers for two the next day}
Prep: 20mins {It took me 30mins, and that's with less and pre-diced pork}
Cook: 1hr and 40mins {Mine was only in the oven for 1hr 30mins}

Dietary Info:
-Dairy Free
-No Nuts
-Contains Gluten {You can use a G-F flour as a substitute}
-Unsuitable for Vegetarians or Vegans {You could use a vegetable stock and then use a different meat e.g vege sausages chopped up, tofu, diced, quorn or even something like this}

Nutritional Info: (per serving, 1/4 of stew) {Sourced from GoodFood}
Contains a good amount of fibre
3 of your 5-a-day 
-Calories: 662kcals
-Fat: 34g
-Saturates: 10g
-Carbs: 29g
-Sugars: 9g
-Fibre: 13g
-Protein: 45g
-Salt: 1.1g

Ingredients:
-800g skinless, boneless pork belly, cut into large chunks, or 800g pork belly slices {I used 500g of diced pork}
-1 tbsp plain flour
-2 tbsp olive oil {I used extra virgin and I used 1tbsp to fry the meat and then I added the next for the veg, the recipe says add both at the same time but it works fine if you split it up as well}
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-2 carrots, finely chopped {I used 3 smaller ones}
-2 celery sticks, finely chopped, any leaves reserved and chopped, to serve
-1 rosemary sprig {I put in about 1tsp (I didn't measure) of dried rosemary}
-2 bay leaves {I used dried bay leaves, make sure to take them out before serving}
-2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped {I used 3}
-1 tbsp tomato purée
-200ml white wine {I used this white wine}
-500ml chicken stock {I used 1 and a 1/2 stock cubes to 500ml of boiling water}
-2 x 400g cans borlotti beans, drained
-large handful of parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped, to serve {I used dried parsley}
-1 lemon, zested, to serve

Method:
1:Heat the oven to 160℃/140℃ Fan/320℉/Gas 3. Toss the pork in the flour with some seasoning. Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and fry the pork for 10 mins until golden, then transfer to a plate. {Be careful as my flour started to burn and stick to the bottom of my stew pot, fortunately, after i had added the liquid and cooked it, the flour was loosened and came off the pot}Tip all the veg into the pan with the rosemary, bay leaves and garlic, and cook on a low heat for 10 mins until softened. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a minute, then add the wine. Pour over the stock, then bring to a simmer and stir in the fried pork.
2:Cover, then cook in the oven for 1 hr. Remove from the oven, stir through the beans, cover again and return to the oven for 30 mins, or until the pork is very tender. {At this point I added a bit more water as mine was looking a bit dry}Leave to cool a little, then scatter over the parsley, lemon zest and reserved celery leaves.

Comments

Popular Posts