Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Next-Level Egg Custard Tart

Hi, this recipe is from BBC GoodFood Magazine, April 2021 issue, page 121. Alternatively, the recipe can be accessed online. I made this for my dad for father's day this year and it went down a treat. However, the making of it was not so smooth. My brown butter pastry was just too crumbly. Luckily, I managed to squidge it all into a tin but, it still didn't look quite right to me. Anyway, I pushed that thought aside and baked it hoping that that would sort it out, but it didn't. I could see that the second I tried to take it out of the tin, it was going to break. So, after a bit of panicking and lots of what-am-I-going-to-do! moments, I decided to remake the pastry with a recipe that I had used before, a few times and trusted the results. The pastry I remade it with, used margarine and is done mostly in a blender, but I have also done it by hand with the same result. Fortunately, second time round, all was well and I got a nicely baked pastry ready for my custard. Phew!
I will put the recipe I ended up using at the bottom and if you make this leave a comment saying which recipe you use (even if it's one of your own!) and let me know how it goes I would be really interested.
Also, I also have 2 other custard tart recipes on my blog: Gluten-Free Custard Tarts and Puff Pastry ones.
 Enjoy!    Hazel ;)



Dietary Info:

-Contains Dairy {In place of the butter, use an alternative, I would suggest a block though over a margarine or spread. Also, if you can find a replacement for the double cream, then you will be able to make this. I know Elmlea and Oatly do one, another route to try would be using the thick coconut cream or full fat milk, from a tin.}

-No Nuts {Unless you count nutmeg, in which case use cinnamon}

-Contains Gluten {You can use a Gluten-Free flour, I would advise against rice flour though, as it makes quite a chewy pastry}

-Unsuitable for Vegans {In place of dairy, see above, and in place of eggs, I would suggest using JUST or have a look at this recipe, they have an interesting vegan custard recipe}

-Suitable for Vegetarians

-Pudding/Snack


Prep 30mins 
Cook 50mins plus 1hr chilling and cooling {I would suggest making the pastry the day before and leaving it in the fridge, in the tin overnight. Or, leaving a ball of pastry wrapped in clingfilm depending on how much time you have to spare. The advantages of having already rolled out in the tin are: you can just make the custard the next day and blind bake it. However, it could also all be made in one day if you wished.}


Ingredients:

For the pastry

-125g cold butter, cut into cubes {I would recommend unsalted butter if possible. If you only have margarine or a spread to hand, see the bottom of post for a second shortcrust recipe}

-200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting {I used strong white flour as that's what we had, if you only have self-raising, be aware your pastry may puff up a bit, so make sure it is really weighed down when blind baking.}

-50g icing sugar

-1 egg yolk

For the filling:

-600ml double cream {Full fat is the best here for it to work}

-1/4 tsp vanilla extract {You can use whatever extract you wish, if you fancy it you could use orange extract and add some citrus zest into the custard as well, for example}

-8 egg yolks {Freeze any egg whites for meringues or egg white omelettes (Egg whites, choice of protein, veggies) on toast}

-100g caster sugar {Brown sugar would be fine as well}

-grating of nutmeg (at least half a nutmeg)


Method:

1: a) First, make the pastry. Melt the butter in a saucepan until foaming, then sizzle until it turns nut-brown. Pour off the fat into a bowl, leaving the sediment in the pan to be discarded. {If you scrape off the sediment, you will be left with black bits in your pastry, it doesn't change the flavour much but it does look a bit iffy}  Leave the fat to cool, then chill until it hardens again. {I froze mine to speed it up as it can take a while} 
b) Combine the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. When the fat has hardened, cut it into chunks and rub it into the flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in the egg yolk and 1 tsp cold water {adding more if necessary}, and bring it together into a dough. Flatten into a disc, then cover and chill for at least 30 mins. Can be made up to two days ahead. (The pastry can also be made with regular butter. {As in not browned})

2: Roll the chilled pastry {make sure to bring to room temperature before using, about 30-45mins on a worksurface should suffice} out on a lightly floured surface to a roughly 5mm thickness, then lift into a {very lightly greased} 20cm tart tin. {I used a 23cm spring form cake tin, use whatever you have to hand, you could even use a cupcake tray and make individual portions} Press the pastry into the base and up the side using a small piece of excess floured pastry. {I used a bit of pressure from my hands}  Leave some overhanging the rim. Chill for at least 30 mins, or freeze for 10 mins. Reserve any excess pastry.

3: Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4/350F. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice. {or uncooked pasta, don't eat it afterwards though!} Put on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins. Remove the parchment and beans and bake for 15-20 mins more until biscuity.

4: Meanwhile, make the filling. Tip the cream and vanilla into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir (don’t whisk) the egg yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl. Slowly drizzle the hot cream over the egg yolk mixture, stirring continuously (not whisking) until everything is incorporated. Sieve the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a jug, then spoon off any froth.

5: Remove the baked tart case from the oven, and reduce the temperature to 140℃/ 280℉/120℃ fan/gas 1. Trim the excess pastry from the case, and mend any cracks with the reserved raw pastry. With the tart case on the baking tray, slide it halfway back into the oven, then carefully pour in the filling to the top of the case. Finely grate over at least half a nutmeg. Gently slide the tray fully into the oven and bake for 40 mins {I did an hour but it was too firm, I reckon it may have only needed 50mins for me}, or until just set with a very slight wobble. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then remove from the case and cut into slices. Enjoy


Alternative Pastry Recipe:

Ingredients:

For the pastry:

-250g gluten-free self-raising flour (This recipe uses G-F flour but you could replace it with ordinary flour if you prefer) {I used plain flour}

-125g butter {I used soft margarine}

-40g icing sugar

-a pinch of salt

-1 egg

Method:
1: 
For the pastry, place the flour, butter, icing sugar and salt into the bowl of your food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2: Add in an egg and pulse again until it starts to come together. Tip out onto your worksurface {Make sure to flour it before hand} and knead for a few seconds until it comes together as a soft smooth pastry.
3: Chill and bring to room temperature before rolling out {Follow above recipe for blind baking and chilling timings}


While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/2lS0vXs

Comments

Popular Posts