Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Prince Harry's Chicken Pie with Mushrooms and Carrots

Hi, this recipe was given to me by my grandparents, it had been scanned from a magazine and sent to me via email. I managed to find out that the recipe was originally from the website Hello Fresh, so you can access the original recipe here, if you wish. 

Interestingly, according to thebookofdishes.com,  this particular recipe was first developed to celebrate Prince Harry's birthday (15th September) because it is is all-time favourite meal. So, if you want to get a taste of what a Prince's comfort food is like, why not give it a go? Will it be your favourite meal too?

This pie was delicious, I loved the creamy flavour that the crème fraiche added to the dish, it thickened the sauce and made it rich and tasty. Alternatively, you could use double/single cream in place if you preferred. I think that 2 punnets of mushrooms (600g) was too much, so I only used one (300g) and each serving got a good portion of mushrooms from that anyway. Also, it was quite hard to fit it all in the frying pan, so using less mushrooms was good in that respect too. My family enjoyed this pie, my mum especially. In my dad's opinion, it could do with a bit more seasoning so, I would suggest maybe stirring in some mustard to the sauce, or mustard powder, as well as more salt and pepper next time. It was very nice served with some spinach on the side, and I also think it would be nice wilted into the sauce. Feel free to adapt how you like, the veg, meat and cream can all change to suit your preferences. Enjoy!


Don't worry if it breaks apart a bit
while serving.





Dietary Info:

-Contains Gluten {In place of panko breadcrumbs, you could blitz up some gluten-free bread and use that as a homemade breadcrumb, or if you can find gluten-free breadcrumbs that will be fine too}

-Contains Dairy {There are dairy-free crème fraiche's available in supermarkets now, one I know of is called Oatly Fraiche, this would be a good swap}

-No Nuts

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians and Vegans {See contains dairy for suggestions. In place of chicken, you could use veggie sausages, maybe Quorn, you could use tempeh/tofu/seiten chunks as well or use a mixture of beans and pulses as well, make sure to use tinned or be sure they are at least par-cooked before adding them into the pie.}

-Main Meal


Ingredients:

-4 potatoes {Essentially one each, these don't need to be as big as jacket potatoes, but more average size. If you only have baking potatoes use 2. The size you are looking for is half of a jacket potato}

-2 brown onions

-2 carrots

-2 punnets of closed cup mushrooms {Or one}

-4 garlic cloves

-50g panko breadcrumbs {I used normal packet breadcrumbs, and I found that it took them a while to brown and even then it wasn't very brown. They did work, but if you have some, I would opt for panko next time. Alternatively, you could make your own, by blitzing a slice or two of bread in a food processor}

-560g diced chicken breast {I used 2+1/2 whole chicken breasts which I diced myself, they can be 1-2cm cubes}

-300g crème fraiche {I would suggest using full-fat, to get the full creamy effect}

-4tbsp olive oil {I used extra virgin}

-1 chicken stock cube

-200ml water (for sauce)

Method:

1: Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with 1/4 tsp of salt and preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/ 430℉ / gas 7. Peel the potato and slice into 1cm wide rounds. Pop the potato into your pan of boiling water, cook until just soft, 12-15 mins. {mine took 10mins, as they were quite thin} Tip: The potato is cooked when you can easily slip a knife through, but be careful because you don't want the potato to overcook. Once cooked, carefully drain in a colander and set aside.

2: {During this step, don't forget to check the potatoes, if they are still cooking. Mine finished while I was still chopping veg. So, I had to stop and drain that before continuing my cutting} Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the onion {I also diced it}. Thinly slice the mushrooms. {I left mine quite chunky so my sister could pick them out, also mushrooms do shrink slightly while cooking, so they don't have to be that thin} Trim the carrot (no need to peel), halve lengthways then slice each half into long 1cm wide strips. Chop into 1cm chunks. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). {I just peeled and chopped the garlic} Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl, add the olive oil (see ingredients for amount) to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, stir together.

3: Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken, season with salt and black pepper and cook until the chicken is browned, 6-7 mins. IMPORTANT: The chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle. TIP: Cook the chicken in two batches if you need to - in a crowded pan it will stew rather than brown! {If you get a white liquid coming out of the chicken, drain it into a bowl and later put it in the green bin, it's the fat from the meat}

4: {Season throughout this step} Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a bowl and leave to the side. Add a drizzle more oil to the pan along with the onion and carrot. Cook on medium heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 4-5 mins. {I gave mine a bit longer as my carrot pieces weren't softening slightly yet} Stir in the mushrooms and a little more oil if needed. Turn the heat up slightly. Cook everything together until the mushrooms are browned, about 5-6 mins. Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.

5: Pour in the water (see ingredients for amount) and add the chicken stock cube. Bring to the boil and stir to dissolve the stock cube. Add the crème fraiche and bring back to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently until reduced by a third, 3-4 mins. {left mine for 10-12mins to reduce} Once the sauce has reduced, return the chicken to the frying pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

6: Transfer the chicken mixture to an ovenproof dish {For 4, you will need a lasagne size dish} and top with the cooked potato slices. Sprinkle over your breadcrumbs. Season with black pepper and bake on the top shelf of your oven until the top is golden brown, 10-12 mins. Serve straight from the dish and enjoy!


While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/6MbzyVa

Comments

Popular Posts