Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Crispy Garlicky Chicken

Hi, this recipe is from Jamie Oliver's 5-ingredients cook book, on page 109 and can also be accessed here online too.  The original recipe is for 2 people so, if you are cooking for more make sure to adjust quantities accordingly. I was cooking for 4 so I doubled the quantities stated. If you are cooking for more than 2 / chicken breasts are thicker than 1cm, I suggest that you finish off the chicken in the oven. This is because they will go cold as you are cooking the others. Also, it may not cook all the way through on the hob either, depending on thickness. Mine were about 2-3cm in places, so after I had browned them, I wrapped them in tin-foil, placed on a baking tray in a hot oven (180 C for 10mins, 240 C for 15mins) and baked for 25mins-30mins to cook throughout, cooking times will vary though depending on oven temperature and thickness.

I enjoyed eating this dish as it felt a bit like a reverse garlic chicken kiev, as the garlic was on the outside, not the inside! I added extra garlic and some oregano ( + seasoning)  into my crumb, and I think it was a good addition as it brought a prominent garlic flavour and the herbs balanced it out nicely. Other suggestions to add would be cheese (grated), paprika or other spices to make a less garlicky, more hot chicken dish or any other herbs you have. I used dried herbs. Also, when I was breading the chicken, the breadcrumbs just weren't sticking to the chicken breast for me, so I dunked them in a little whisked egg and then dipped them in breadcrumbs and it seemed to do the trick for me. If you have the same problem, use a whisked egg or olive oil first. 

To serve, I did boiled potatoes (about 20-25mins, over a high heat, time varies depending on size of potatoes). However, just about any carbohydrate would work with this dish. Boiled carrots and sweetcorn and rocket with the chicken. It was very nice, you could add some butter to top the potatoes too if you wish. Enjoy!




Dietary Info:

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians/Vegans
{In place of the chicken breast, you could make breaded tofu, seiten or tempeh, just make sure to fry it off a bit first as you will get a crispy outer crust from that as well as the breadcrumbs. If Vegetarian you could try with paneer or halloumi too. You could get some veggie sausages and breadcrumb those too or just use the garlicky breadcrumbs as a topper for another dish.}

-Dairy-Free
{Just double check the bread you're using but it should be fine}

-Contains Gluten
{Use a gluten-free loaf, or you could always crush up some rice cakes (CHECK PACKAGING FOR GLUTEN THOUGH) and use that as a crumb, alternatively just buy gluten-free breadcrumbs}

-No Nuts
{However, in my opinion, if you added a few crushed cashews or flaked almonds, maybe some chunked peanuts, you would get a nice flavour in your breading}


Serves: 2 {I doubled all quantities for my family of 4}

Ingredients:

-2 x 120 g free-range skinless chicken breasts

-2 thick slices of seeded wholemeal bread , (75g each)

-1 clove of garlic

-1 lemon

-50 g rocket

-{Plus oil, seasoning and if needed, an egg}

Method:

1: Place the chicken breasts between two large sheets of greaseproof paper, and whack with the base of a large non-stick frying pan to flatten them to about 1cm thick. {I couldn't get mine to 1cm thick, don't worry about it though as you can finish them off in the oven}

2: Tear the bread into a food processor, then peel, chop and add the garlic, and blitz into fairly fine crumbs. {I added oregano and seasoning, plus extra garlic here}

3: Pour the crumbs over the chicken, roughly pat on to each side, then re-cover with the paper and whack again, to hammer the crumbs into the chicken and flatten them further. {I had two bowls, one with egg, one with my breadcrumbs and a plate at the end. First, dip in egg, then move to breadcrumbs, coat, and place on a plate. Don't worry if you loose a few breadcrumbs along the way, mine didn't cover evenly either, as you can see from the picture. And, yes, I didn't re-whack them with pans as I was unconvinced that the bread-crumbing I had just worked so hard to get on wouldn't stick to the baking paper and come off again.}

4: Put a pan on a medium heat. Fry the crumbed chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 3 minutes on each side, or until crisp, golden and cooked through. {If they are not cooked, finish off in the oven. See top of page for tip, paragraph one}

5: Slice, plate up, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, sprinkle with lemon-dressed rocket, and serve with lemon wedges, for squeezing over.

EASY SWAPS

1- Try this method with pork loin steaks or halloumi.

2- You can use any type of bread here or, if you’re all out, try pounding up breadsticks or crackers to achieve that crunch, porridge oats or even cornflakes could do the trick.

3- For extra flavour, you could add herbs, lemon zest, spices or grated cheese to your crumb, whatever you like!

4 -You can serve your crispy chicken with any lettuce leaves you have, or even some roasted or steamed veg. Gorgeous.







While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/2QR4DUH

Comments

Popular Posts