Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Pasta Fatteh with Tahini Sauce and Pine Nuts

Hi, this recipe is from the Guardian magazine's 'FEAST', issue 188, from Saturday 21st August 2021, page 8 by Ravinder Bhogal, alternatively, access original recipe online here. This was a delicious take on a Fatteh and I really enjoyed it, on my picture all the parts are separate but that was just so my sister could try them all first and decide whether she liked it or not (she did!), and the yogurt, I hadn't yet added to my plate. I particularly liked the spices that were added to the mince, I knew that they're nice in lamb but I'd never had them in beef before and was pleasantly surprised. It added a new depth of flavour and made it different from a ragù (spag bol sauce) so I was very pleased with it. Also, I liked the way Ravinder used pasta in place of the traditional flatbreads, it was a nice take and made the meal feel like a fancy bolognaise with much nicer spicing. 

Lastly, let's just appreciate that this is my 200th post! From my 1st post on April 22nd 2019, I have since created 199 more, which is amazing!!

Enjoy,

Hazel x



*


*


Dietary Info:

-Contains Nuts

{In place of the pine nuts, sprinkle croutons atop the dish for an extra crunch. Also, if your allergy includes sesame, leave out the tahini, I wouldn't bother with a substitution here, as the yogurt on its own should be fine. If you do substitute it for anything though, leave a comment below so others can use your ideas.}

-Contains Gluten

{In place of the pasta, you could use rice, gluten-free flatbreads, or gluten-free pasta, often these are made of pulses like chickpeas or lentils. This will also allow you to get more protein in the dish, if you use a pulse pasta substitute so bonus! Also, although most tahinis are gluten-free double check your one as sometimes gluten is added as a thickener.}

-Contains Dairy

{In place of the yogurt, use a soya plain alternative, try to get an unsweetened one if possible as I find that vegan plain yogurts can be a bit sweet sometimes, great for puddings, not so great for meals. Also, the thicker yogurt you can get, the better.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See above for dairy. In place of the mince, you could use 2x400g tins of pulses (chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans etc..), or use chunks of tofu. As well as this, many supermarkets now offer vegan mince, so you can get the same texture as mince beef, which might be an interesting option to explore.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See above.}

-Main Meal



Prep: 15 min

Cook: 50 min

Serves: 4



Ingredients:

-Olive oil {I used extra virgin oil.}

-1 small white onion, peeled and finely chopped

-3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped {I used 4 as I enjoy the extra flavour that garlic brings, so will often add 1 or 2 more garlic cloves than suggested.}

-400g ground lamb or beef mince {I used a 500g packet of mince beef.}

-1 heaped tsp allspice {I used 1tsp ground ginger.}

-1 heaped tsp cinnamon

-100g passata {I got a tin of chopped tomatoes and blended it, I ended up using about 200g of that, because it was looking a bit dry with only 100g. This may be because I was using 100g more meat than suggested.}

-400g pasta shapes – strozzapreti or cavatelli, for preference {I used 250g penne.}

-Sea salt and pepper

For the sauce:

-500g Greek yoghurt {I used 170g of kefir (for 3 people, the 4th person wasn't having any so I cut down on quantities) any plain yogurt is fine here.}

-75g tahini {I used 25g of tahini.}

-1 garlic clove, peeled and finely grated or chopped

-Sea salt and pepper

-Juice of 1/2 lemon {I had lemon juice in a bottle and drizzled some in, tasted and added more of whatever was needed.}

To top: {I left this out entirely, as I thought my younger sister was unlikely to enjoy it.}

-40g butter

-2tsp dried mint

-1tsp pul biber, or mild chilli flakes

-1 handful toasted pine nuts

-1 handful finely chopped parsley



Method:

1: To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste, then set aside {preferably in the fridge, to keep cool.} while you cook the mince.

2: Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan or casserole {I used a wok.} , then fry the onion for about 10 minutes, {On a low heat; if on a high heat, you won't need 10mins. Also, add some salt for seasoning.} until soft and translucent. Scatter in the garlic, fry until fragrant, then add the mince and fry until browned all over. Add the spices, fry briefly, then pour in the passata and cook for 10 minutes more, while you cook the pasta. Season with salt and pepper.

3: Boil the pasta in plenty of salted water until al dente. Drain, transfer to a large platter and top with the cooked mince mix. Wipe out the mince pan, return it to the heat and melt the butter. Once foaming, add the mint and pul biber, cook for 30 seconds, then take off the heat.

4: Spoon the tahini-yoghurt sauce all over the pasta and mince, drizzle with the mint butter, then strew the pine nuts and parsley on top and serve.


This recipe : While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe : 

https://pin.it/4Kodffg

Comments

Popular Posts