Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Sweet-and-Sour Sausages with Peaches

Hi, this recipe is the final one in a row that I will be doing from the Guardian's 'FEAST' Magazine issue 188 from Saturday 21st August. I have been on a roll with this issue and for the past 3 weeks have given you recipes from it (Pasta Fatteh with Tahini and Pine Nuts, Summer Tomato Spaghetti with N'duja Pesto and Lamb Chops with Ezme and Cumin Salt.) so this 4th recipe will be the last for a while, but I am sure I will return to this magazine in the future. This recipe is by Ravinder Bhogal, like last week's, and is on page 9 of the magazine, however, you can also see the original recipe here

 This meal was really easy to make and had a delicious flavour. The sweetness of the peaches balanced the savoury sausages really well and is a combination that I really enjoyed. My Mum also really liked it and I've given her a hard copy of the recipe to keep (you can print this blog too if you wish). For me, it felt very autumnal because of the warmed peaches, a transition from fresh summery peach salads, to a warming peach 'n' sausage bake. I think that if you wanted to use plums, apricots or pears in this dish, you would get very nice results, so don't feel confined with what's on the list, if you have some leftover plums, use them! Lastly, the recipe said to serve with white rice, but I wanted to try it out with cous cous (and sweetcorn for extra veg!) and it worked fine, I think if you wanted to serve with mash, crusty bread, boiled/roasted potatoes, pasta or gnocchi, you would get delicious results, so really, whatever you prefer. 

Enjoy!

Hazel xx



***


***



Dietary Info:

-Dairy-Free

-Contains Gluten

{I think that Gluten-Free soy sauces are now available so if you wish to substitute that in place of the soy sauce, feel free, alternatively add the same amount of fish sauce (check brand if G-F or not) or leave out entirely and loosen the sauce with some water instead. If your rice-wine vinegar also contains Gluten, use a different G-F vinegar.}

-No Nuts but Contains SESAME

{Leave out sesame seeds and if you can tolerate other seeds use them in place, if not, don't bother with an alternative.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans or Vegetarians

{In place of the sausages, there are many different vegan/veggie options in most supermarkets now, so I am sure you'll have no trouble finding a 'sausage'. If you wanted to go down a different route however, you could use 2x400g pulses e.g. chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans etc... And, you could use tofu and, if vegetarian, paneer, cubes, just make sure to fry them first so the outside is browned a bit more, as I find it tastes better.}

-Main Meal



Prep: 15 min

Cook: 30 min

Serves: 4



Ingredients:

-8 good-quality thick pork sausages {I used Cumberland sausages.}

-2 red onions, peeled and cut into thick wedges {Either cut into sixths or eighth's, depending on the size.}

-4 peaches, halved, stoned and cut into wedges {The peaches I used were quite hard, so easy to cut, if yours are juicier then make sure to pour any escaped juices from your chopping board into the pan, as it will add a nice flavour to the sauce. In mine, the juices just leaked out of the peaches when in the oven.}

-1tsp Chinese five-spice (optional) {I left this out, as my sister isn't a big fan of this flavour combination.}

-Salt and pepper

-Rapeseed or other neutral oil {I used extra virgin olive oil.}

-1 thumb ginger, cut into very fine matchsticks

-2tbsp toasted sesame seeds, to garnish {I used golden flax seeds but really any seeds will work well.}

-1 long red chilli, sliced on the diagonal, to garnish

-Boiled or steamed rice, to serve {I used cous cous, see top for other suggestions.}

For the sweet-sour sauce: 

-100ml tomato ketchup

-1-2 heaped tbsp hot sauce (such as sriracha), depending on how spicy you like it {I used 1tsp chipotle chilli paste, this just added a smoky flavour and the tiniest bit of heat, so much that I couldn't really taste any heat. This was intentional though, so my sister could eat the sauce.}

-1tbsp honey 

-1tbsp rice-wine vinegar {I used cider vinegar.}

-3tsp soy sauce

-1tsp rapeseed oil {I used extra virgin olive oil.}



Method:

1: Heat the oven to 220℃/200℃ fan/425℉/gas 7. Put the sausages, onions and peaches in a roasting tray, sprinkle over the five-spice {If using.} and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil {Massage the oil in, make sure it covers everything. This will help to stop it from burning.} and roast for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.

2: Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a medium bowl; add a little water to thin it out, if you prefer. Pour the sauce all over the part-cooked sausages and peaches, scatter the ginger on top and stir well. Return to the oven and roast for another 10 minutes. {I left for another 5-10mins on top of the 10mins suggested as mine weren't cooking that fast.}

3: Remove, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds and chilli on top, and serve with plain rice.




While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe : 

https://pin.it/43R4E0t

Comments

Popular Posts