Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Dan Dan-Style Noodles

Hi, this recipe is from Tesco January 2022 magazine page 29, or find online here. From this same issue, I have recently made the Meatball Shakshuka and Chinese Chicken and Broccoli.

This dish was really tasty and I enjoyed the ginger flavour in it. It reminded me of an Eastern-Asian-style spaghetti bolognaise with the mince meat broth/sauce and the noodles (shaped like spaghetti). However, don't be fooled, the flavours were completely different.

I think the crunchy peanut butter added a nice texture to the dish with little bites of peanuts every now and then throughout the dish. However, me and my Dad agreed that you couldn't really taste the peanut butter in the sauce. I think it was over powered by the chilli oil and ginger in the dish. So, next time I might try different amounts of each ingredient to see if you can taste the peanut butter more. A different solution might be to sprinkle chopped peanuts on top too, that way you should get the crunch and a more concentrated flavour in the dish.

Also, I served with peas and sweetcorn not because it's authentic or anything (it's not) but because my sister was having fish cakes and noodles, instead of the dan dan broth as she's not a big fan of the flavours going into this dish. Although, she did have a bit to try and it wasn't as bad as she thought. So, if you want to serve some vegetables with it too, that's fine and you could even try mixing them into the broth too (if you're not reducing it down too much).

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***


***



Dietary Info:

-Main Meal

-Contains Gluten

{You can swap the whole-wheat noodles for a gluten-free alternative noodle, rice noodles, gluten-free spaghetti or any type of rice you like (white, brown, black, wild etc...). Also, pick up a g-f soy sauce. If you can't find any use a fish sauce (but double check the label first for gluten!). Lastly, if your peanut butter has gluten in it, hunt around on the shelves for one that doesn't.}

-Contains Nuts

{Use a tahini (contains sesame) or Wow butter (or similar alternative) instead of the peanut butter.}

-Dairy - Free

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{Instead of the pork mince, use 2 x 400g cans of pulses e.g. chickpeas, lentils, black eyed beans or broad beans (or a mixture of two tins) or use a veggie mince. I like Co-Op's Gro Mince, I have used it before in tacos and it's very nice.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See above.}


Serves: 6 {I halved the recipe for 3 people and it worked fine.}

Takes: 15mins {You need to add on extra time for preparing spring onions, garlic and ginger. So about 30mins total time.}


Ingredients:

-1tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil {I used extra virgin olive oil.}

-500g pack 12% fat pork mince

-100g bunch spring onions, white and green parts separated, finely sliced {You'll want to include light green parts as white, as the white parts are being fried into the dish and the green parts are only topping.}

-3cm piece ginger, peeled and grated

-3 garlic cloves, crushed​

-1tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, roughly ground with a pestle and mortar {I just added in extra black pepper.}

-1tbsp chilli oil

-3tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce {I just had normal dark soy sauce, it worked fine.}

-3tbsp crunchy peanut butter

-1 chicken stock cube, made up to 700ml

-375g wholewheat noodles {Mine weren't whole wheat, they were just normal egg noodles.}

-1+1/2tsp crushed chillies


Method:

1: Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat and fry the mince for 7-8 mins, stirring regularly, until just crisp. Add the white parts of the spring onion, the ginger, garlic and half of the Szechuan pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 mins. Add the chilli oil, soy sauce, peanut butter and chicken stock. Stir to combine, {You may need to press down with a spatula to break up any clumps of crunchy peanut butter, so they're incorporated into the sauce.} then reduce the heat to medium and simmer gently for 3 mins. {Mine simmered for longer because I wanted to reduce the sauce more. I know it's supposed to be a broth but I wanted it to be more of a sauce. But, do as you prefer.}

2: Cook the noodles to pack instructions, then drain and divide between 6 bowls. {I did plates.} Spoon over the mince and broth. Scatter with the remaining Szechuan pepper, spring onion greens and crushed chillies to serve. {Serve with a side of greens or whatever vegetables you prefer. I think cabbage would be nice with this dish.}




While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/6NC9YHZ

Comments

Popular Posts