Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Herby Tomato & Bean Soup with Italian-Style Seeds

Hi, this recipe is from the Tesco's Magazine January 2022 issue, page 39 and I've rewritten it so that it has a separate ingredients list and a more thorough method. Also, I've still added to that basic rewritten recipe with my own extra findings in {}. 

This soup was really tasty and much more filling than a normal tomato soup. I enjoyed the addition of beans to the soup and blending them into the soup to make a thicker broth was a great idea. I also liked the seeds to top it and the thyme. My sister enjoyed hers with grated cheese on top and thought that it would be nice with olives stirred through and some chorizo chunks. I think this would make it more of a Spanish stew-type dish, rather than your tomato soup. But, if that's the direction you want to take it in go ahead. 

The good thing about this tomato soup is, as my sister discovered, it can be a great base for other recipes as well as a meal on it's own, when served with bread. So, before you add any beans it would be a great tomato sauce and you could add protein to it to make a nice pasta sauce. Or, instead of blending the beans leave them whole and add in some apricots or prunes and harissa paste and serve with cous cous for a tagine-style dish. 

Enjoy!

Hazel :)



***



***



***



Dietary Info:

-Suitable for Vegans

-Suitable for Vegetarians

-Gluten Free

{Double check your stock cube, use a different brand if contains gluten.}

-Dairy Free

-No Nuts (does contain seeds)

-Main Meal (if served with bread or source of carbohydrate)

-Snack

-Starter


Serves: 4-5

Takes: 50mins


Ingredients:

-olive oil

-1 brown onion, peeled and finely chopped

-2 carrots, peeled and diced

-2 sticks celery, diced

-3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped

-2tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus some to serve if you like {I used about 1.5tbsp dried thyme.}

-2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes

-2 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained {I used butter beans.}

-vegetable stock cube dissolved in hot water to make a stock according to packet instructions {For me this was 450ml.}

-a couple of handfuls of spinach

-Schwartz Italian Seeds & Spice Toppers {I topped with golden flax seeds.}


Method:

1: Cook the onion, carrot and celery with a little oil in a large pan for 10mins, or until soft. 

2: Stir in the garlic and fresh thyme leaves; season. Add the tinned tomatoes and cook for 10mins or until breaking down. Add the half the cannellini beans {One tin.} and enough vegetable stock to just cover everything. {For me I added most of my stock here and then the rest after blending, I added the rest to thin it out a bit as it was really thick. So, even if you don't use all the stock at this stage, keep it back just in case you need it later.} Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10mins.

3: Blitz until just smooth, then stir in fresh spinach and the final tin of beans. {While over a low heat, just to quickly heat the beans through.} Sprinkle over the seeds and spice topper and more thyme leaves to serve.





While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/7s6Cyqn

Comments

Popular Posts