Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Creamy Chicken Liver & Kale Tagliatelle

Hi, this recipe is from the Tesco January 2022, page 34, part of the 'Cook once, Eat twice' range, so I've halved the chicken quantities on the recipe for you because this one gave extra for the 2nd meal. Find the original recipe online

This recipe was really tasty and I really enjoyed the creamy chicken pasta sauce. In this dish, I used chicken breast instead of chicken liver as my mum isn't too keen on chicken livers and I can safely say that this sauce would work well with all kinds of meat: chicken, beef, sausages, pork etc.. and also chickpeas would be nice. Also, I think that it would've been nice with more spice in it, (I did add a bit of extra paprika but something more would've been good too) like a red chilli or red chilli flakes/powder, just for a different flavour. 

I made the sauce in advance so that we could quickly heat it up and cook the pasta when we got back from a trip out. If you are doing this too, make sure to not add the yogurt until just before serving because it is more likely to split if it is reheated. Additionally, you could make the sauce far in advance and freeze it for another time, if you wanted.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)

***


*** 



Dietary Info:

-Main Meal

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See 'Unsuitable for Vegetarians' and 'Contains Dairy'.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{Instead of the chicken livers, use 1x400g tin of chickpeas, adding extra pulses if this doesn't look like enough. Or using vegan 'ch*cken' pieces like garden gourmet or vegetarian butcher.}

-Contains Dairy

{Instead of the butter, use extra oil or use a plant-based buttery spread. And, use a vegan soya plain yogurt, or oat yogurt, in place of the natural yogurt. You could even use a dairy-free soured cream or crème fraiche in place of natural yogurt too.}

-Contains Gluten

{In place of the tagliatelle, use a gluten-free pasta alternative or a pulse-based pasta. You could also make some mashed potatoes or serve with rice or in a risotto or with some crusty bread too.}

-No Nuts


Serves: 4

Takes: 40mins {I would say closer to an hour.}


Ingredients:

-10g unsalted butter {I didn't use this as I forgot, instead I just cooked the onions in oil.}

-2tbsp olive oil, plus 2 tsp

-2 onions, thinly sliced {I used brown onions here, if you only have red, it would be fine but I would recommend brown ones, or use shallots.}

-1 x 380g packs chicken livers {Some people in my family are not too keen on chicken liver, so I used 2 chicken breasts.}

-1tbsp plain flour {I used a strong plain flour, as that was what we had in the cupboard.}

-200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced {I *think* that I used closed cup mushrooms, as they seemed a bit big for chestnut mushrooms. However, after shopping, the packaging had been thrown away so I am unsure of what type they definitely were.}

-2 garlic cloves, crushed

-1tsp smoked paprika {I used normal paprika, not smoked.}

-300g dried tagliatelle {I used a mix of shell pasta and fusilli.}

-200g curly kale, thick stalks removed

-1/2 vegetable stock cube, made up to 200ml

-a few drops Worcestershire sauce

-80g natural yogurt

-15g fresh parsley, roughly chopped


Chef's Tip:

IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT TAGLIATELLE, TRY USING SPAGHETTI OR LINGUINE {Or any pasta or rice or potatoes would be fine too. This sauce would be particularly nice over a buttery jacket potato.}


Method:

1: Set a large non-stick frying pan {I used a wok.} over a low-medium heat and melt the butter with 1tbsp oil. Gently fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 20 mins, {This is quite a long time so I would suggest using a small hob, (I used the 2nd smallest) and keeping the heat on low so they don't catch. If they start to burn, and are cooked before 20mins is up, just remove them from the pan early.} stirring often, until golden and soft. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Set aside.

2: Meanwhile, cut away and discard any fat and sinew from the livers. Pat the livers dry and slice into thin strips (a little over 0.5cm wide). Tip the four into a shallow bowl, add the livers and toss to coat.

3: Heat 1tsp oil in the pan you used for the onions. Add the livers and cook over a medium-high heat  for 2-3 mins until brown, crisp and cooked through. Add to the bowl of onions. Season well.

4: Heat the remaining 1tbsp oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms with a pinch of salt for 5 mins until golden and tender. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for 1 min more.

5: Meanwhile, cook the pasta to pack instructions, adding the kale for the last 5 mins. {I added the kale for the last 8mins as on the back of the kale packet it said it needed 8mins.} Drain, reserving 100ml of the pasta water.

6: Stir the stock and Worcestershire sauce into the mushrooms. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 mins until slightly thickened. {Mine didn't really thicken, so I didn't need to add the pasta water later.} Add the liver and onions and warm through for 1 min. Turn off the heat, then stir through the yogurt and most of the parsley.

7: Add the pasta and kale to the mushroom sauce, along with {Wait before adding the pasta water, you may not need it.} half the reserved pasta water.  Toss together, seasoning well with black pepper and adding a little more pasta water if needed to make a silky sauce. Divide between 4 bowls and scatter with parsley to serve.




While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/5QYkhk3


Comments

Popular Posts