Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Tex Mex Tofu Bowls

Hi, this recipe is from the Tesco's Magazine January 2022 issue, page 37 and is part of a 'Cook once, Eat twice' range so the tofu scramble is actually from the 'Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms' recipe on the page across from it and the leftovers are repurposed in the 'Tex-Mex Tofu Bowls'. Here, I've just added in the additional step of how to cook the tofu into the recipe, so you can make it at home with all the steps.

I've never made scrambled tofu before and have only really seen it as a scrambled egg replacement as in the 'tofu scramble with mushrooms' so was intrigued to see this recipe where it is just another source of protein and the scrambled-ness was supposed to be more like mince meat texture e.g. in tacos. I found the tofu scramble a bit bland in terms of flavour and think that more spices could have added to it, or even just more of the paprika and cumin than the recipe suggests. Next time, I might fry a sliced red chilli with the garlic before adding the tofu and then add extra paprika and cumin too. 

I enjoyed the salsa the best. I thought it had a really nice flavour and I liked the charred sweetcorn in it too. Although I didn't have fresh coriander, the dried herb brought a really nice different flavour to the salsa, when mixed with the lime juice, so I would suggest you try that out too.

If you want, you could serve the black bean and tofu mix in tacos, still with the salsa and lettuce, but also with some guacamole and, if not vegan, some cheese, I think that feta would be nice here. Or, you could make burritos, by wrapping everything up in a tortilla and drizzling over some spicy sauce e.g. sriracha. Or, stuff into pittas too. 

The black beans could easily be switched for any other bean or pulse you like, and the tofu for any other mince, vegan or not, shredded chicken, or alternative as well.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***

***



Dietary Info:

-Vegan

-Vegetarian

-Dairy Free

-Gluten Free

-No Nuts

-Main Meal


Serves: 4

Takes: 45mins 


Ingredients:

For the tofu:

-1/2tsp vegetable oil {I used olive oil.}

-1 x 300g pack firm tofu {I used 1 x 396g packet, there was a little leftover which I put on a wrap with some leftover salsa for a quick lunch the next day.}

-2 cloves of garlic

-1/4tsp turmeric {I used 1/2tsp.}

For the tex mex bowls:

-2+1/2tsp vegetable oil {I used olive oil.}

-200g tin sweetcorn, well drained {I used frozen sweetcorn and I googled how much sweetcorn is in a 200g tin and it turns out there's 160g of sweetcorn per 200g tin, so I used 160g of frozen sweetcorn.}

-100g cherry tomatoes, quartered 

-1 small red onion, finely diced

-15g fresh coriander, most finely chopped {I used about 1/2tsp of dried coriander.}

-1 lime, 1/2 juiced, 1/2 cut into wedges

-1/4tsp smoked paprika

-2 x 250g packs microwave wholegrain rice with quinoa {I cooked my own rice in a rice cooker, enough for 4 people.}

-2 spring onions, finely sliced, green and white parts separated

-1/4tsp ground cumin

-400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed​

-1/4 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded {I used spinach instead.}


Chef's Tips: 

1) IF YOU DON'T HAVE RED ONIONS, TRY USING WHITE, BROWN OR SPRING ONIONS.

2) USE UP CORIANDER BY FINELY CHOPPING AND STIRRING IT THROUGH SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CHILLI AND GARAM MASALA.


Method

1: Preheat the oven to gas 6 / 200°C / fan 180°C / 390℉. Drain the tofu and squeeze out any excess liquid. {I was doing this over the sink and started to loose tofu down the plug-hole, so I moved into squeezing out water through a sieve. Press the tofu when it's in the sieve to catch any crumbly bits.} Transfer to a bowl and crumble into small pieces; {It should look like scrambled egg.} set aside.

2: Heat 1tsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Stir-fry the garlic for 1 min, then add the tofu and stir-fry for 3 mins. {Season.} Add the turmeric and stir-fry for another 2-3 mins until mixed in, set aside. {It should still be soft, mine didn't turn crispy or anything.}

3: Make a salsa. Heat a griddle or frying pan over a medium heat. Add 1/2tsp oil and the sweetcorn and griddle for 8-10 mins, turning frequently, until tender and beginning to char; {If using frozen sweetcorn like me, this may take a bit longer.} set aside to cool. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the tomatoes, onion, most of the coriander and the lime juice. Season and set aside.

4: Heat the rice and quinoa mix to pack instructions. {Or, about 20mins before you want to eat, cook some rice in a saucepan or rice-cooker.}

5: Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Soften the white part of the spring onions for 1 min. Add the cumin and remaining paprika, and cook for 1 min more. Add the tofu scramble and black beans, and heat through for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and stir through the green spring onions.

6: Divide the rice and quinoa mixture between 4 bowls. {I used plates.} Top with the shredded lettuce, corn salsa, tofu mix, and remaining coriander. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over. {I served up the rice and tofu, but then put the salsa and spinach (lettuce) on the table for people to add as much as they liked.}





While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/7iZquUm

Comments

Popular Posts