Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Chocolate Cake

I found this recipe in 'Jane Asher's EASY CELEBRATION CAKES' and it was so good! The final product was slightly bready though this could've been down to me baking it for too long but it still tasted amazing. The quantities for the various icings were slightly off and so were the times stated in the book but luckily I was aware of this from previously using the book. Hope you enjoy the recipe...


 Dietary Info:
- Unsuitable for Vegan
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Contains Eggs
- Contains Dairy
- Contains Gluten
- No Nuts


Ingredients:
-2x18cm (7in) sandwich chocolate sponge cakes (see recipe below)
-1 Quantity chocolate buttercream {I didn't use the recipe suggested in the recipe book as I didn't have the right stuff so I found another one online.See recipe below}
-1 Quantity of chocolate ganache (see recipe below. I used slightly less than suggested}
-1 box chocolate leaves or shapes {I didn't use these}
-3/4 metre (30in) gold ribbon {I didn't use this}
-1 sheet edible gold leaf {I didn't use this}
-23cm (9in) round cake board {I used a plate}

Method:
1: Place one of the sponges, flat side down, o the cake board or plate. Spread the top liberally with a layer of chocolate butter cream. Place the other cake on top , bottom side up so that you have a flat surface. Press the cake down until level {Before placing on top, you may have to cut the top of the cake off to level it} 
2: Cover the sides with more butter cream, smoothing with a palette knife {If you don't have one a butter knife works fine} and filling in any holes. Chill to firm. {Unfortunately for me , we'd just been shopping and the fridge was packed full meaning there was no space to cool it. Luckily, it was a cold wintery evening so I opened the window and chilled it in the freezing breeze. #LifeHacks} 
3: Place on a cooling rack over a sheet of baking paper {I used cling-film as it was easier to fold up after} to catch drips. Pour over ganache, making sure the cake is coated. Allow to set. {Once again I used the window}

4: Using a palette knife {or a butter one}, lift the cake onto the board or plate. {At this point, I didn't do anymore decoration wise but I did  add chocolate sprinkles. I've put what the recipe suggests to do though and it will certainly make a prettier product.} Arrange the chocolate leaves and shapes around the top {going in a circle but don't fill in the middle.} Finish with the ribbon and if you like, life pieces of gold leaf onto the cake with a dry brush.


How to make the 2x18cm (7in) sandwich sponge cakes:
Ingredients:
- 125g (4oz) soft butter or margarine {I used Clover simply buttermilk}
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 level tsp baking powder

Method:
Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180/160 fan/350. Grease and flour the tins {I floured the tins with cocoa powder to give it an extra chocolatey flavour}. Put all the ingredients into a bowl or food processor and mix with a wooden spoon - or process on a high speed - for about 2mins, or until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25mins {I found that it needed less time around 15mins}. All the cakes re cooked when firm to touch or the blade of a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.


 
How to make the chocolate buttercream:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24415/chocolate-buttercream-frosting.aspx  

Ingredients: Makes: 2 Cups  
 -85g butter
-175g icing sugar
-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
-1 tablespoon milk

  1. Mix butter and icing sugar well until smooth.
  2. Add in cocoa powder and milk and mix again until smooth.
  3. Spread over a cooled cake!
Can substitute flavours as desired. For vanilla extract or almond essence, add in a little extra icing sugar to compensate for the cocoa powder. Also add in food colouring to plain recipe for some great colours.
Can easily double the recipe, or add in extra chocolate for a more intense frosting!

How to make the chocolate ganache:
Ingredients:
- 450g of Dark Chocolate {I used 50g of Co-Op dark chocolate with orange pieces) 50-70% in cocoa solids, can be used in chips or roughly broken/ chopped
-300ml double cream (I used 75ml I think)

Method:
Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream gently in a sauce pan until boiling, then remove from the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and has blended with the cream into a rich,dark mixture. Allow to cool a little, but use while it is still of a pouring consistency. { So basically you don't want it to be so warm/hot that it will melt the buttercream below}










Comments

Popular Posts