Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Bobotie

Hi, this recipe was from Prue Leith's 'Prue' Cooking Book. The Bobotie had a really nice flavour of the lamb but was quite sweet because of the fruit and chutney. We served it with a salad and it was very nice. Personally, I thought it was AMAZING but my parents weren't as keen nor was my sister {Not as surprising}. I hope you enjoy it if you make it and even if you don't like it I'm sure someone else will. Have fun!

Dietary info:
- Contains Gluten
- Contains Dairy
- Contains Nuts
- Main course
- Unsuitable for Vegans/Vegetarians





Serves 6

Ingredients:
- 2 thick slices of white bread {I used brown}
- 150ml milk {I used whole milk}
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped {I used brown onions not red}
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed {I chopped them}
- 3cm (1inch) piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated {I ended up chopping it because it was easier}
- 1tbsp mild curry powder
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 450g of lamb mince
- 1 small desert apple, grated
- 75g fruit chutney {I used mango chutney}
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- A handful of sultanas
- Salt & Pepper to season
For the custard:
-2 medium eggs
-275g Greek Yogurt {I used 0% fat one}
-A handful of flaked almonds {we didn't use this as Dad and my sister don't really enjoy them}
-2 kaffir lime leaves or bay leaves (See Tip) {I didn't use these either}

Tip:
This is the traditional way to make Bobotie, but when we {Prue} were little this was often made from leftover roast lamb. Don't fry the meat, just chop or mince it finely, then mix with the spiced onions.
Bobotie is always topped with a couple of leaves. In South Africa, the dish is generally topped with kaffir lime leaves; in England, they are usually bay leaves.


 Method: 
1: Put the bread into a small tray or shallow bowl and pour over the milk. Leave to soak.{I left it until the recipe said to add it to the mixture, but if you wanted to soak if for longer I'm sure it would be fine}. Heat the oven to 180℃/160℃ fan/350℉/Gas 4.
2: Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and fry until soft and just golden. Add the garlic,ginger,curry powder,coriander and cumin; cook for a further minute or so. Transfer into a large bowl.

3: Wipe the sauce-pan clean and pour in the remaining oil. Turn the heat up and fry the lamb mince for 5-6minutes, until golden brown. Press the meat down with a fish slice {I didn't know what that was so I just kept stirring it with a spatula} to encourage it to brown properly. When the meat is browned on all sides, add it to the spiced onions, along with the apple, chutney, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and sultanas. Add a little water if it looks too thick {Mine was fine}. Fork the wet bread into the mixture, season and gently combine. Pile the mixture into a 2-litre oven proof dish ad use the back of a wooden spoon to flatten it.
4: Mix the eggs with the yogurt. Season with salt and pepper, then pour over the mixture. Scatter with almonds, then place the kaffir leaves on top {if using} and bake for 40-45minutes , until the custard has set and browned. Remove the bobotie from the oven and let it stand for 10mins before serving.


Comments

Popular Posts