Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Chicken Fajita Fried Rice

Hi, this recipe is from Joe Wick's 'Lean in 15' The sustain plan cookbook. The recipes are supposed to take 15mins each and be quick and easy for everyone, this one took a bit longer but I have some suggestions of how to quicken it. So, number 1, I cooked my own rice, and yes, Joe does write pre-cooked in the recipe so he clearly knows that cooking rice will take over 15mins. However, if you have a microwave, you could use that and do a microwave rice packet for this meal. Personally, the extra time wasn't a problem for me, I even chose to use brown rice which takes longer than white rice! I found the portions were really large, for me, but my dad liked it and after a hard core workout from Joe you may be in need of the extra fuel so I can understand. There was quite a lot of onion in this recipe but it worked, it tasted really nice especially with the tangy chilli and I enjoyed the subtle crunch of the sweetcorn. Enjoy!!!


Dietary Info:
-Unsuitable for Vegans or Vegetarians {Use a meat substitute, maybe not pulses e.g chickpeas or lentils as you already have a lot of grain-y stuff from the rice but Quorn or Tofu would be nice}
-Dairy-Free
-No Nuts
-Gluten Free

Serves 1 {I ended up making this for my family's tea so I just scaled everything up by 4 except the chilli which I kept to 2 and the oil ,which I only added 1tbsp}
Post Workout
Make Ahead

Ingredients:
-
1 red onion, halved
-4 cherry tomatoes, chopped {I quartered them}
-Juice of 1 lime {I used 1/2tsp of bottled lime juice}
-1/2tbsp coconut oil
-1/4 red pepper, de-seeded and finely sliced
-3 baby sweetcorn, sliced in half on an angle
-1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced {I diced this instead, and used a green chilli}
-1x240g skinless chicken breast fillet, sliced into 1cm strips
-1tsp ground cumin
-1tsp dried oregano
-1tsp smoked paprika
-250g pre-cooked rice {This is a lot of rice and maybe after doing a Joe Wicks workout you may want more than normal in which case you can use as much rice as you like but for our tea, I cooked 75g dry brown rice per person and it seemed to be enough if you serve large portions}
-handful of coriander, roughly chopped {We didn't have any of this, so I used a sprinkle of dried coriander}

Method:
1:
Dice one half of the onion and put it into a bowl. Slice the other half roughly into 5 thin wedges {Mine ended up more like 7-10 wedges per half}. Add the tomatoes to the bowl with the diced onion, squeeze over half of the lime juice and leave to sit.
2: Melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan  or wok {I used a large wok}, over a medium to high heat. Chuck in the onion wedges, red pepper and baby sweetcorn and stir-fry for 2mins. {I carried on for about 5mins because I wanted the sweetcorn to be slightly charred, it didn't go brown in those extra 3mins just for the final product, I wanted a bit more flavour}
3: Now, add the chilli and chicken and continue to stir-fry for about 4mins, by which time the chicken should be pretty much cooked through. {Keep going for a bit longer if it is still very obviously pink}
4: Stir in the cumin, oregano, paprika and add the rice, crumbling it between your fingers as you drop it in, then pour 2tbsp of water in straight after {I didn't do this as my rice was already moist enough and the chicken had released a lot of juices into the pan and they were steaming everything already}. The water steam up and help finish cooking the ingredients as well as separating the rice grains.
5: Give the whole lot a couple more tosses in the pan, to make sure the rice is warmed through and the chicken fully cooked. Check by slicing into one of the larger pieces to make sure the meat is white all the way through, with no raw pink bits left.
6: Take the pan off the heat, stir half of the coriander through the cooked rice and half through the onion and tomato mixture, then serve everything up with the remaining lime juice to squeeze over the rice.

Comments

Popular Posts