Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Khan's Chickpea And Mushroom Bhuna Balti

 Hi, this recipe is from the '100 Best Balti Curries by Lowe and Davidson' which is a great recipe book full of really flavourful dishes, and was great for using up our stock pile of dried chickpeas. It wasn't the spiciest curry ever, so next time I think I will add some more seasoning or top it with some spicy bombay mix. However, I was eating it after being frozen as I made the curry, then portioned it out and then froze it for quick lunches, that I can defrost the night before. So, that may have affected the flavour slightly. If you are eating it as a lunch or lighter meal, you could eat it cold and mix through some spinach as a salad or, I heated mine up and put it in a Thermos flask to keep warm until lunch. Well. whatever you do, I hope you enjoy this recipe!!

Dietary Info:
-Gluten-Free
-Dairy-Free
-No Nuts
-Vegan
-Vegetarian








Ingredients:
-285g/10oz dried chickpeas, or use 1 large can
-170g/6oz button mushrooms, sliced {I used 150g of baby button mushrooms, sliced}
-6tbsp vegetable oil {I used 1tbsp of sunflower oil}
-2 onions, chopped
-1 fresh green chilli, chopped
-3 tomatoes, roughly chopped {I used 12 cherry tomatoes as I reckoned 4 small tomatoes to 1 big one}
-1tsp curry powder {I used a mild one}
-1tsp turmeric powder {ground tumeric}
-1/2tsp ground coriander {I just added mixed herbs}
-1/2tsp garam masala, plus a little extra to garnish
-1+1/2tsp salt

Method:
1:
Pre cook the chickpeas:
    Soak the chickpeas in water overnight. Put them with their soaking water into a saucepan and bring        to the boil . Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and simmer for 1+1/2 hours or until tender. Drain,          keeping back some of the stock. {Keep an eye on the pan as mine started to bubble over!}

After draining, reserve 150ml/1/4pint of the cooking liquid. Or open the can and drain, reserving the required quantity of liquid.

2: Heat the oil in a large wok on a moderate heat and fry the onions until they start to brown. Add the chopped chilli and tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 3mins or until the tomatoes are beginning to break up and the chilli is getting soft. Stir in the chickpeas with the reserved cooking liquid and the curry powder, turmeric, ground coriander and garam masala. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer, stirring, for 5mins. Add the sliced mushrooms and salt to taste and shake and stir for another 2mins. Divide among 4 warm balti bowls and serve, sprinkling each with extra garam masala.

Comments

Popular Posts