Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Ken Hom's Chow Mein Recipe

Hi, this recipe was from BBC Goodfood's February Issue, on page 17, alternatively you can access it, and any nutrition info, online Here. By marinating the chicken for longer than suggested, I got a very deep and delicious flavour to the stir fry. For this meal, as I have a younger sister who isn't too keen on trying new things, I cooked the amount of noodles for 4, then separated hers off before adding the marinated chicken. As well as this, I fried an extra chicken breast for her, just plain without the marinade, for her plate too and served hers with some sweetcorn, I put any leftover plain chicken on the table for those who wanted more. So, if cooking for more than 3 add extra chicken! Additionally, I added extra mangetout, you can never have too many vegetables and I expect extra ham too, but I didn't check the weight. If you aren't allergic, you could add some crushed nuts or bombai mix on top for crunch. Enjoy!!

Dietary Info:
-Dairy-Free {If using egg-noodles without dairy in}
-Contains Gluten {You could substitute for a G-F type of pasta e.g chickpea pasta, which would also give you extra protein, I don't know if there is such thing and G-F noodles but you could 100% look into it. Also, most soy sauces contain Gluten so make sure to buy a G-F version, such as this one from Tesco.}
-Contains Nuts {Use any other oil, like avocado oil or olive oil instead of sesame and ground nut}
-Unsuitable for Vegetarians/Vegans {Use tofu in place of the chicken and if vegetarian Quorn ham    in place of the prosciutto, or use another meat substitute of your preference e.g seitan, vege  sausages/burgers sliced up, chickpeas or other pulses}

Ingredients:
-225g dried or fresh egg noodles
-1 tbsp sesame oil, plus 1 tsp {I used extra virgin olive oil}
-100g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into fine shreds {I used 1 chicken breast it was 130g, but -that was as close as I was going to get to 100g, this was split between 3 people, but if you are serving 4 I would add more chicken as it was very sparse.)
-2½ tbsp groundnut oil
-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-50g mangetout, finely shredded {I used 150g, one packet}
-50g prosciutto or cooked ham, finely shredded {I used 2 slices of cooked ham}
-2 tsp light soy sauce {I used extra dark soy sauce as it wasn't worth buying another if we only use one anyway}
-2 tsp dark soy sauce
-1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry {I left this out}
-1/2tsp freshly ground white pepper {I used normal black pepper}
-1/2tsp golden caster sugar
-2 spring onions, finely chopped
For the marinade:
-2tsp light soy sauce {I used dark}
-2tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry Sherry {I used 1tsp cyder vinegar}
-1tsp sesame oil {I used extra virgin olive oil}
-1/2tsp freshly ground white pepper {I used black pepper}
-1/2tsp salt

Method:
1: Cook 225g egg noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 3-5 mins, then drain and put them in cold water. Drain thoroughly, toss them with 1 tbsp sesame oil and set aside.
2: Combine 100g chicken breasts, cut into fine shreds, with 2tsp light soy sauce, 2tsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/2tsp white pepper and 1/2tsp salt for the marinade, mix well and then leave to marinate for about 10 mins. {I did this early morning and left it to marinate the whole day}
3: Heat a wok over a high heat. Add 1tbsp groundnut oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the chicken shreds.
4: Stir-fry for about 2 mins and then transfer to a plate.
5: Wipe the wok clean, reheat until it is very hot then add 1+1/2 tbsp groundnut oil. {I didn't wipe the wok clean, so that i could get a nice taste from the marinade}
6: When the oil is slightly smoking, add the 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
7: Add 50g finely shredded mangetout and 50g finely shredded prosciutto/ham, and stir-fry for about 1 min. {I combined steps 6 and 7, for convenience}
8: Add the noodles, 2tsp light soy sauce, 2tsp dark soy sauce,1tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry, 1/2 tsp white pepper, 1/2tsp golden caster sugar, 2 finely chopped spring onions and 1tsp salt.
9: Stir-fry for 2 mins. Return the chicken and any juices to the noodle mixture. Stir-fry for about 3-4 mins or until the chicken is cooked.
10: Add 1tsp sesame oil and give the mixture a few final stirs. Put on a warm platter and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts