Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

One-Pan Fabulous Fish

Hi, this recipe is from Jamie Olives 5 ingredients cookbook on page 149, alternatively you can access the recipe, and nutritional info, online here. This recipe book is very good if you have minimal time and are very busy as all the recipes have few ingredients in them and are super quick as well. However, a lot of the recipes do have a few extra ingredients that he believes are 'pantry staples' so in this recipe I was caught out with the red wine vinegar, but fortunately I could substitute for balsamic vinegar which I did have. Overall, the recipe wasn't too fishy, and the pesto {I didn't use tapenade} added a nice extra flavour boost, I think I will be adding it to my rice again in the future. Enjoy!

Dietary Info:
-Gluten-Free
-Dairy-Free
-No Nuts {Double check your tapenade as majority are nut free but occasionally some aren't, and if using pesto then it definitely is not nut free}
-Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See below}
-Unsuitable for Vegans {You could substitute the fish for chickpeas or lentils as they would get cooked through as the rice is, I am not sure how tofu or other meat alternatives would hold up in this, but feel free to give it a go, and if you do, let me know and I'll adjust this bit.}

Ingredients: 
-300g white basmati rice {I used white long grain rice}
-6tsp (heaped) green olive tapenade {I used green pesto}
-350g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
-1/2 a bunch of fresh basil (15g) {I used dried herbs}
-500g white fish fillets , such as haddock, skin off, pin-boned, from sustainable sources {I used Tesco frozen white fish as fresh wouldn't keep as long as I needed it too.}

Method:
1:In a large shallow casserole pan on a high heat, mix the rice with 2 heaped teaspoons of tapenade, then pour over 600ml of water.
2:Put the lid on and let it come to the boil while you halve the tomatoes and, in a bowl, mix them with 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and red wine vinegar.
3:Taste, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, and tear in most of the basil leaves. {or mixed herbs}
4:Cut the fish into four equal-sized pieces and place in the pan, pushing them into the rice. {I placed my fillets into the rice and added some extra water as mine was getting a bit dry, maybe around 1/2cup to 1cup, I judged it by eye}
5:Scatter over the dressed tomatoes. Put the lid back on and boil for 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through, then remove the lid and cook for a further 2 minutes until all the liquid is evaporated. {In the 10mins, I stirred mine to stop it from sticking, this gave me the result of a fishy risotto rather than what I was expecting, see original recipe for that, but it tasted really good}

Comments

Popular Posts