Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Roasted Squash with Kale, Almonds and Caramelised Onions

Hi, this recipe is from a leaflet that in picked up in store from a shop called Daily Bread, I unfortunately threw the recipe away after the first time I made the meal as I thought I had made a note on here, but I hadn't. Luckily, I had copied out the recipe, which is what I had confused it with. I have made this meal twice now because the first time, my picture for the blog didn't save, so I remade it, which no one minded about. The second time of making I increased the temperature that I roasted the squash in as at 180℃, there was no way it was cooking in 45mins. So instead it was done at 200℃ for 15mins and 240℃ for the remaining 30 (more details in recipe). The first time, I made this with white onions and the second with red, my preference was the red (see ingredients for more info) but that may be because I used less sugar, making them less sweet. In the future, I would add some spices to my squash when I roast it, as although it was really yummy, I think it would have been nicer with a bit of a kick, I'm imagining a mix of paprika, cumin and garam masala, let me know how it is is you try it! As well as this, second time round, my mum and dad had theirs with some Greek yogurt which looked nice and I think that hummus would also work well, alternatively any plain yogurt, dairy or non-dairy would work well. Additionally, if you are not a focaccia fan then I think pittas or garlic bread would be really tasty with this dish too. I will certainly be making this again as we all enjoyed it. Enjoy!


Dietary Info:
-Suitable for Vegans (However, check the focaccia you're using, mine [linked below] had dried skimmed milk powder in it. If looking for a Vegan alternative I have a recipe for one here, and online you can buy one from Tesco and one from another online food shop here.)
-Suitable for Vegetarians
-Dairy Free

-Contains Gluten (In the focaccia, but gluten free options like bread rolls are now available in most supermarkets, like this or a gluten free focaccia can be purchased online here)
-Contains Nuts (The nuts play quite a big role in this recipe and bring a variety of texture through the crunch. However, if you wanted to do this recipe, I would suggest heating up some dried fruit e.g raisins and apricots and then sprinkling some crunchy croutons on top as well, then you have compensated for the nutrition, sweetness and texture}

Total Time: (including chopping the squash + using new suggested temperatures) 1hr 15mins, but most of this is waiting for various veg to roast
Cook Time: 45mins 
Prep: (only chopping squash as onions can be sliced during the oven time for the squash) 15-20mins


 Ingredients:
-Oil for roasting {I used extra virgin olive oil}
-1 squash, cut into 1cm thick slices {I used a butternut squash, but any will work fine, even frozen squash but make sure to read the back of the packet for instructions as cooking times will vary from what is written here}
-A couple of fresh sage leaves, or dried sage, to replace {I used dried sage}
-1 bag of kale {I used a 180g bag, from Tesco}
-2 onions, sliced. Preferably red onions, but white work too. {I used white the first time and red the second, and if I'm honest they were both very similar, the red may have looked a bit nicer and were sweeter, but the white turned a nice golden colour and were sweetened by the sugar. So, whichever you use will be fine. My preference was red as they were naturally sweet enough for me and, personally, worked better with the balsamic.}
-2tbsp soft brown sugar {Both times that I made this, I used white sugar and it worked fine. But, the first time 2tbsp sugar made the onions too sweet for my dad's liking, so the next time, I used 1tsp of white sugar and it was much nicer, the onions and balsamic were much more noticeable and flavoursome}
-1-2tbsp balsamic vinegar {I used 2tbsp as I adore balsamic flavour}
-200g almonds (this will make more than you need but you can store them in an airtight container for 3 days)
-Salt and Pepper to season
-Focaccia, to serve {I used a Tesco's finest Rosemary and Garlic Focaccia}

Method:
1: Preheat the oven to 180℃/160℃ fan/350℉/Gas 4.
{If using these temperatures then it is going to take longer than 45mins, I found this out the hard way. But, the second time I made this, I changed the preheating temperature to 200℃/180℃ fan/390℉/Gas 6 }

2: Put the squash in a roasting tin and drizzle with oil. Season with salt, pepper and sage. Place in the centre of the oven and roast for 30mins. {Theoretically, this gets 45mins total. If you have used a higher temperature in the beginning, see step one, then after 15mins, you will want to increase the temperature to 240℃/220℃ fan/475℉/Gas 9 for the remaining 30mins}

3: While they are roasting, start making your caramelised onions. Heat a tbsp {I needed more if you want to cook for 30mins} oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onions and cook for 30mins until soft and golden.  Add a splash of water to the pan if they look like they might catch. {If it gets too hard, just take them off of the heat and wait until the final 5mins before doing step 6 and reheating the onions at this point}

4: After 30mins, add the kale to your roasting tin and roast for another 15mins. {Do step 5 immediately after as they both need to be in the oven for 15mins. Make sure to mix up the kale halfway through because it catches and chars quite easily. Also, don't worry if before this the squash looks a bit burnt, the covering of kale will protect it from burning, it is like adding a layer of tin foil on top.}

5: Place the almonds on a new roasting tin and roast at 180℃/160℃ fan/350℉/Gas 4, {or new temperatures} for 15mins. I added them to the oven at the same time as I added the kale to the squash. Be vigilant, because they burn easily. {Mine didn't burn easily, even at new higher temperatures}

6: Finish the caramelised onions. Add the soft brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to the pan. Cook until the sugar has dissolved, and the vinegar is reduced.

7: After your almonds have roasted for 15mins, take them out of the oven and out in a bowl with 2tbsp of oil and a tsp of sea salt. Mix to coat. Then, put the almonds back into the oven for 2mins to dry them. {I didn't do this because I didn't fancy oily almonds, just as a personal preference, it didn't sound good to my palette. So, I just served them dry and it was delicious, it was like a warm almond butter - unreal!} {Also for the final 10mins, I warmed up the focaccia in the oven, but this is optional}

8: Serve the roasted squash and kale with the roasted almonds and focaccia. 

Hazel's Tips:
-tbsp = table spoon, this is the equivalent of 15ml
-tsp = teaspoon, this is the equivalent of 6ml
-If you don't have enough oven space for 2 roasting tins, use a piece of tin foil as a divider or share a pan between both, it will be a squeeze though.

While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/K5KS0FC

Comments

Popular Posts