Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Miso, Tomato and Oregano Pasta

Hi, this recipe is from the Guardian magazines 'Feast' Saturday 17th April issue, the original recipe can also be accessed online here. This was part of Ottolenghi's 15minute meals section however I found that I took a bit longer, not much, but, if you were tight for time and only had 15mins I probably wouldn't attempt this. Instead, I would start about 30mins/half an hour before you want to eat, this leaves you time to set the table in between things cooking too. In terms of flavour, I really enjoyed this dish. The miso paste added a sort of salty marmite-esque flavour to the dish, adding niced flavourful undertones to the pasta and sauce. I also enjoyed the saltiness of the olives balanced with the sweetness of the tomatoes, I think it went really nicely. Next time, I think I would add a grind of black pepper on top as well to serve, just to cut through the miso and tomato-ey mixture. Enjoy! 


Dietary Info:
-Suitable for Vegans
-Suitable for Vegetarians
-Dairy-Free
-Contains Gluten
{there are many gluten-free pasta alternatives in most major supermarkets, have a look in the 'free-from' sections. Here is Tesco's one if you need a little help. Also, any pasta shape will work here for you. If it is easier to find Gluten-Free spirals then that is fine.}
-
No Nuts
-Main Meal

Prep: 5 min {Very quick prep, I liked it as I only needed to chop the chilli and garlic}

Cook: 10 min {Can take longer, especially the tomatoes. I would give yourself half an hour (30mins) to prep and cook this meal before you start eating}

Serves: 2 {I doubled the quantities for 4}

Ingredients:

-Salt

-110g spaghettini (or spaghetti) {I used spaghetti}

-80ml olive oil {I used extra virgin olive oil, if you prefer you could use a different oil but I think that any olive oil would work better}

-3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced

-1 large red chilli (10g), thinly sliced {I used a green chilli as that was what I had}

-20g fresh oregano, leaves picked (about 15g net weight) {I used a 20g packet }

-2 tbsp white miso paste

-1 tsp maple syrup {I used honey}

-400g cherry tomatoes {Any small loose tomatoes work well e.g. plum is fine too}

-160g nocellara olives (or other green olives), pitted and thinly sliced lengthways {I used Tesco Pitted green olives, if you prefer black olives I think that they would also work nicely in this dish

Method:

1:Put two litres of water in a medium saucepan and salt well – ie, with about three tablespoons. {I left out the salt as I never have boiled pasta with salt and 3tbsp seemed like a lot. So, really it is whatever your preference is and do that} Bring to a boil, add the spaghettini, cook for six minutes  (or according to the instructions on the packet) {spaghetti usually takes about 10mins}, then drain.

2:While the pasta is cooking, put the oil in a medium saute pan {Frying pan is fine too, I used a wok} on a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, oregano and chilli, and fry for two minutes, stirring frequently, until everything is crisp. {A bit like deep-frying as the oil will be covering the garlic and chilli and oregano. I had to add a lid to my pan as the oil was spitting everywhere!} Spoon half the mix into a small bowl, add the miso and maple syrup to the remaining mix in the pan {I accidentally added the miso and syrup/honey into the small bowl on the side but it was fine and it was actually quite nice. It was a sort of pesto blob on top} and cook, stirring, for a minute more. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for another six minutes or so, until the tomatoes have burst and the sauce has come together. {You may want to add a lid to your pan to speed up the wrinkling of the tomato skins}

3:Stir in the olives, toss the drained pasta in the sauce and serve at once with the reserved crisp garlic, oregano and chilli scattered on top. Serve.

While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/6EGPUDr

Comments

Popular Posts