Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Smoky Chicken, Bean and Kale Stew

Hi, this recipe is from BBC GoodFood magazine April 2021 issue pg54, alternatively the original recipe can be accessed online using the previous link. This stew was delicious and warming, perfect for the rainy April week we've been having recently. I enjoyed the soft butter beans in the stew as I think they went really nicely with the chicken, you got a sort of creamy mouthful when I had a bean or two. Additionally, the chicken was not dry and it cooked through well (phew), which was great. Although, when I first removed it after the 1st half and hour, and shredded it, parts were still a bit pinker than normally I would serve - don't worry though, as it is going back in the pan to be cooked for another 30mins, in which mine turned a lovely white. To go with the stew, the recipe suggested garlic bread, I think garlic bread went really nicely with this stew and added nice flavour as well. If you aren't too keen, you can leave a baguette plain instead. I cooked 2 baguettes (for the 4 of us) and garlic buttered 1 and a half, but left half plain for my sister as she wasn't sure if she wanted it/liked it. Feel free to adapt this recipe to suit whatever you have at hand or in your cupboards/fridge at the time, as most of the ingredients in this can be switched and changed without making much, if any, difference to cooking times e.g. chicken: any other meat or plant based alternative (see my tip below if using tofu), pancetta: sandwich ham would be fine here too, I know we generally have some in our fridge, kale: spring greens, spinach, cabbage, literally any green leafy vegetable, bar lettuce ;) would be fine here and finally, the beans, any type of pulse would be fine, lentil, chickpea, even baked beans as the tomato sauce would merge with the chopped tomatoes. Enjoy!




Dietary Info:

MAIN MEAL: Serves 4

-Unsuitable for Vegans {See below, Vegetarian and Diary-free}
-Unsuitable for Vegetarians {In place of the chicken thighs, you could fry from tofu, seitan or tempeh on either side until browned and add that in, although it may get a bit dry with the long hour of cooking, so it may be an idea to add it at the end. Alternatively, you could add in an extra tin, or two, of pulses, chickpeas, lentils, black or kidney beans, would all be delicious. I would advise just leaving out the pancetta, but if you have a substitute you normally enjoy feel free to add that in, otherwise, it is more important to get a substitute for the chicken as it is the main body of the stew}
-Dairy-Free {Only the stew, for the garlic bread, make sure to use a dairy-free butter in the garlic butter. Also, double check your bread too, just to be on the safe side.}
-No Nuts
-Gluten-Free
{Only the stew, for the garlic bread, use a gluten-free loaf or baguette}

Prep: 10mins
Cook: 1hr 25mins {This is pretty accurate for the length of time it's over the heat, but, about 10mins was added on for me when I had to remove the chicken from the pan and shred it}
Easy
Suitable for home freezing

Ingredients:

-1tbsp olive oil {I used extra virgin olive oil}

-8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs {I used 4 chicken breasts, cooked the same as suggested for the chicken thighs}

-80g cubed pancetta or smoky bacon lardons {I used about 4 rashers of streaky bacon}

-1 large red onion {Diced} {I used 1/2 a red onion and 1/2 a white onion}

-4 garlic cloves {Finely chopped}

-2tsp smoked paprika

-2 bay leaves {I left this out}

-1tbsp red wine vinegar {I used malt vinegar}

-2 x 400g can plum tomatoes {You could also use chopped tomatoes too, I did}

-1tsp caster sugar {Table sugar, or brown sugar, would be fine as well}

-1 chicken stock cube {You can use vegetable if you prefer}

-400g can cannellini or butter beans, drained {I used butter beans}

-100g kale, stripped from the stalk and roughly chopped

-garlic bread, to serve {See below for my recipe}

-drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)


Method:

1:Heat the oil in a large casserole pan. Tip in the chicken and cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown – do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Remove the chicken and set aside. {The inside needn't be cooked through as that will happen during the first 30mins of boiling, this is just to get a crispy exterior}

2:Put the pancetta in the pan and cook for 5 mins until starting to crisp. Push to one side and add the onion, cooking until softened, about 8 mins. {I didn't push to one side, instead I just fried it altogether as the pancetta would have started to stick. Also, I added some salt and pepper here.} Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 min. {You want to really be able to smell the garlic}

3:Add the paprika, bay, vinegar, tomatoes and sugar, then crumble in the stock cube. Add two cans full of water (800ml), season well and return the chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 30 mins – bubbles should only break the surface now and then. {I had to move mine to a smaller ring on the hob as it was bubbling too ferociously on the largest}

4:Uncover the pan and cook for another 30 mins until the stew has reduced to a rich broth. {I left the lid on as mine had evaporated a far bit in the first stage and I knew that although it looked a bit watery now, once I added the beans and kale, it would be fine} The tomatoes should have broken down by now, but if they’re still quite chunky, squash them with the back of a wooden spoon. Use two forks to pull apart the larger chunks of chicken. {I did this so that it was shredded}

5: Stir the beans and kale into the stew, cover with a lid and cook for 5 mins to wilt the kale and heat the beans through. Serve in deep bowls with chunks of garlic bread and a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, if you like. To freeze the stew, leave to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container. Will keep for up to three months. Defrost thoroughly, then reheat until piping hot.

GARLIC BREAD: Serves 4
Ingredients:
- 2 baguettes to cook
{I used these from Tesco}
- Margarine or butter (dairy-free alternatives can be used)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (add more, or reduce according to your preference)
{I did 4}
- optional: 1tbsp of dried, or 2tbsp fresh herbs {I used dried mixed herbs, but things like basil also work nicely}

Method:
1: Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7/430℉. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and set aside
2: Slice the baguettes until you have almost cut through to the other side, but not quite. Place on the baking tray.
3: To make the garlic butter, combine the butter, garlic and herbs (optional) in a bowl and mix together. Then, spread each side of the slices you have made in the baguette with your butter. 
4: If your baguette is already cooked, then cover in tinfoil, if they are part-baked
{like mine}, place straight on the baking tray and pop in the oven for 10-15mins, or until golden brown.
5: Serve on a plate in the centre of the table, or on separate plates for each person, if you prefer.


While you're here, I have a Pinterest for all my recipes where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 
https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/aKmZEww

Comments

Popular Posts