Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Broccoli - Crusted Salmon

 Hi, this recipe is from a free instore magazine that I picked up from Co-op, issue 74 from September/October 2021, on page 29. Here is their online version of the recipe. Generally, I enjoyed this recipe, I thought it was simple, easy to make and yielded good results, I would make it again. But, my mum thought it could do with a bit more flavour, and I could see where she was coming from, so, here are some tips to add a bit more flavour to this dish:

1 - Boil the sweet potatoes in salt water, this allows them to pick up a bit of extra seasoning while cooking.

2 - Make the sweet potato mash with some butter and/or milk. For me this is not needed as the mash was moist and if you have salted the potatoes you probably won't need this either. However, if your mash is looking a bit dry and you feel it's not as creamy as you like, add some milk/butter like you would for white potatoes.

3 - Season the pesto with salt and pepper, and then after putting it on top of the salmon season again, just for maximum flavour.

4 - Make sure to use the chives, they will bring a nice freshness to the dish.

These are just ideas, and you don't have to do any if you don't fancy it; taste as you go and add what you feel is needed. If you have leftover broccoli 'pesto' stir it through some pasta for a quick sauce, or freeze for another dish of this, we have frozen ours. Also, if you're not a fan of sweet potatoes use white, or serve with some other carbohydrate e.g. rice, couscous or pasta. I made my sister and dad white potato mash (scroll down for photo) and me and my mum sweet. You can boil the potatoes in the same pan or separate, just make sure they are separated before mashing!

Enjoy,

Hazel ;)


*


*



Dietary Info:

-1 of your 5-a-day

-Gluten-Free

-Contains Dairy

{I would suggest either leaving out the parmesan entirely, or using a dash of nutritional yeast, or if you have a favourite d-f cheese, use that. If not, you could also use a tsp of marmite, it may change the colour slightly, but at least you'd get the saltiness of the parmesan.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See above for the parmesan, in place of the salmon, you could substitute in chickpeas and roast them to make them nice and crispy, use veggie 'sausages' like those in last week's recipe (here) or if you like some veggie 'sausage rolls' they would be nice warm with the mash as well.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See previous 2 points.}

-No Nuts

-Main Meal


*


*



Ingredients:

-250g Co-op broccoli, broken into florets {This is 250g without the stalks, so already in florets, it's about half a medium broccoli head.} {Any brand works well.}

-1 garlic clove, crushed

-50g Co-op parmesan wedge, finely grated {Any brand works well.}

-1tsp Co-op olive oil {I used an extra virgin olive oil, but really any neutral oil would work here. Also, I may be tempted to try making the 'pesto' with some chilli oil in for a bit of a kick and a different flavour.} {Any brand works well.}

-1tbsp chopped basil {I used 1/2tbsp dried.}

-2 x 220g packs Co-op salmon fillets {Any brand works well. I used Tesco.}

-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks {I left the peel on as that's where more nutrients are i.e. fibre.}

-1tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped (optional)


Method:

1: Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6/400℉.

2: Boil or steam the broccoli for 4 mins, until tender. 

3: Put the broccoli, garlic, parmesan, oil and basil in a food processor and blitz into a coarse paste.

4: Lightly grease a baking tray, {I used baking paper.} then add the salmon fillets, skin-side down.

5: Season, spread with the broccoli mixture and roast for 18-20 mins, or until just cooked through. {They should be hot through the centre.}

6: Meanwhile, boil the sweet potato in a large pan for 12-15 mins, until just tender. {If you only have 12-15mins I would cut the chunks reasonably small, the bigger the pieces the longer it will take to cook.}

7: Drain, leave to steam for a few mins, season, then mash.

8: Serve the salmon with the mash, sprinkled with chives, if you like. {I also served with garden peas.}


While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/1Wedptq

Comments

Popular Posts