Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Honey & Mustard Salmon with Poached Eggs

Hi, this recipe is part of me testing the Tesco 'Let's Cook Range', it is the 2nd recipe I have tried (out of 4) and will write an overall review of the range in the coming weeks. I found this recipe on a 'Let's Cook leaflet' but the original recipe (in bold below) can also be accessed online here

I really enjoyed the flavour of the honey mustard salmon, especially with a runny poached egg as well, it was very tasty and something I wouldn't have tried on my own. I did add a pinch of chilli powder to my salmon dressing, as I didn't have any fresh chillies to hand, but I couldn't really taste it, so I would add 1-2tsp of chilli next time, or definitely use fresh. For me, the dish did need the extra spicy-ness. 

Now, for the Let's Cook Range, they suggest you buy a prepared rice and quinoa mix, I didn't use this, this time. But, I have has it before and so know what it tastes like. I think it would've worked fine with this dish. However, if you do have a bit of extra time, I would suggest couscous like I did. This is because you can learn how to season the carbohydrate part of your meal for yourself, and it's probably cheaper to buy a bag of couscous than multiple packets of pre-prepared rice and quinoa too. That being said, I think this Let's Cook recipe taught the chef more about cooking than the last one, and I know I will be taking this honey mustard (and chilli!) dressing into other recipes. 

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


*


*



Dietary Info:

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{In place of salmon, you could either do some roast chickpeas in the marinade, cover some tofu in the sauce and bake, or leave out the honey aspect and just buy some vegan 'sausages'. In place of honey, you could use maple syrup, or another preferred sweetener, if you melted some sugar and added a drop of water you could get a similar sugar syrup. Lastly, for the eggs, I would suggest either (to add the missing protein) sprinkle with seeds e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, poppy etc.., or if wanting to make up flavour: I have found some vegan 'eggs', now I can't guarantee the flavour on this as I have never tried it, so I would personally be tempted to just leave it out and add nuts/seeds for the protein. But, if you're up to it, why not give it a go?}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See above for some ideas, but another option is open here for you to have paneer (cheese) and I reckon if that is chopped into chunks, it would be very nice in the honey mustard marinade.}

-Dairy - Free

-Contains Gluten

{Swap in some G-F pasta, like lentil pasta, you are not only getting your serving of carbohydrates in the meal but extra protein too from the pulses, so that is really a bonus.}

-No Nuts

-Main Meal



Serves: 2 {I doubled for 4}

Takes: 20mins


Ingredients:

-1tbsp clear honey

-1tsp mustard (wholegrain, Dijon, French or English) {I used wholegrain, that's why you can see seeds on it in the picture.}

-260g pack boneless salmon fillets

-200g pack fine beans, topped and tailed {I used 200g pack for 4, and there was enough.}

-250g pouch microwaveable wholegrain rice with quinoa {I used couscous, but I have tried this before, see introduction for verdict.}

-1tsp white wine vinegar {I used cyder vinegar.}

-2 large eggs

Finishing touches (optional):

-lemon wedges

-finely sliced spring onion

-sliced red chilli {I added a pinch of chilli powder to the dressing, but next time I would either add more chilli powder, or definitely use the fresh sliced chilli, as you need something spicy to cut through the sweet honey mustard.}


Method:

1: Preheat the oven to gas 5 / 190°C / fan 170°C / 370℉. Mix the honey and mustard with some salt and pepper. {Add 1tsp of chilli powder if you wish.} Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the salmon skin-side down on the tray, spoon over the honey and mustard mix, then bake for 12 mins.

2: Meanwhile, blanch the beans in boiling water for 1-2 mins until just tender. {I boiled for about 5mins.} Drain and season. {Seasons with either salt and pepper, butter, or parmesan cheese.} Cook the wholegrain rice with quinoa to pack instructions. {Or whatever side you are serving with.}

3: Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add a splash of vinegar, swirl the water with a spoon, then carefully crack the eggs into the water. {While the water is spinning, you want the egg white to wrap around the yolk.} Poach for 3 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon. Serve with the salmon, beans and grains, plus lemon wedges to squeeze over, and a scattering of sliced chillies and spring onions, if you like.


Chef's tip:

A wedge of lemon helps balance the richness of the salmon and is a great pairing with honey and mustard.


Drink pairing:

Try with Tesco Finest Pinot Grigio Blush – the fruitiness of this delicate rosé will lift the sweetness of the honey.


While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe: https://pin.it/6ZSrJQX

Comments

Popular Posts