Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry

Hi, this recipe is inspired by BBC Goodfood's October 2020 issue, page 61 by Shivi Ramoutar or find online here. I have adapted it to suit my family's preferences (mainly my Dad's as my Mum ended up not liking it so much) which is why if you compare the original recipes, they look slightly different.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this curry. I added extra spices and more tomatoes because it looked a bit dry (which I have added in bold to the recipe this time), I also stirred through some natural yogurt at the end to make it nice and creamy. However, I have found in the past if you stir through the yogurt while it's still in the pan, the yogurt splits and the sauce looks a bit grainy. So I've learnt that by putting it on the table, the curry has adequate time to cool and people can add as much or as little as they like to it. 

My Mum's complaint was the size of the squash chunks, I was using frozen squash, so the chunks were pre-cut and she found them a bit too much for her. So, if you aren't the biggest fan of squash either, you could do 1/2 the squash and add some extra pulses as she said she did enjoy the nuttier flavour of the chickpeas. 

Lastly, this is my final recipe in the ideas for using up autumn pumpkins and squashes this year, I have done 3 in a row now and I think my family don't want anymore squash/pumpkin for a while yet! Save the previous recipes for later weeks in the autumn and have a look at some of last year's posts too.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***

***



Dietary Info:

-Not Vegan

{See 'Contains Dairy'.}

-Vegetarian

-Gluten Free

{Serve with rice or g-f flatbreads.}

-Contains Dairy

{Stir through coconut milk instead of natural yogurt.}

-Main Meal

{If serving with rice or naans.}

-No Nuts


Prep: 15mins

Cook: 30mins

Serves: 4


Ingredients:

-1 tbsp oil {I used extra virgin olive oil.}

-1 onion, finely chopped

-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

-1" piece of ginger, peeled and grated {Or finely chopped.}

-3 tbsp mild curry powder

-1 tbsp garam masala

-400g can chopped tomatoes {I also had 100ml of tomato passata left in the fridge which I tipped in.}

-400g can chickpeas, drained {Although, if it looks a bit dry, you could add the water too.}

-1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 750g prepared weight) {I used a 500g bag of frozen squash.}

-200g + natural yogurt, to serve

-rice, naan breads and pickles, to serve (optional)


Method:

1: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Tip in the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until softened, about 10 mins. {Season with salt and pepper.} Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder, and cook for about 20 seconds, continuing to stir.

2: Tip in the tomatoes, chickpeas and squash. Pour in 200 ml water, then bring to the boil and immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer uncovered until the squash is tender, about 20 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking. Season to taste. {You can leave it out overnight or longer in the fridge for the flavours to develop further if you like.} If freezing, leave to cool completely first. Can be frozen for up to one month. Reheat from frozen at 200°C / 180°C fan / gas 6 / 390°F for 10-15 mins. Serve with rice, naan and pickles, if you like. {I served with rice and spinach.}




While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/7edV2og

Comments

Popular Posts