Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Jerk 'Devil' Wings || Halloween Recipe

Hi, this recipe is inspired by Tesco's Devilled Wings recipe, but mine didn't turn out as red as theirs. Alternatively, you could add black food colouring and make Sprinkles and Sprout's recipe for 'Sweet and Sour 'Bat' Wings' . Also, I didn't follow either of these sauce recipes because we enjoy Jerk Chicken in our house, so I used our normal Jerk Chicken Recipe and served it with Swamp Gnocchi for the ultimate Halloween meal.

These wings were very tasty, if not as devilled as I would've hoped. I think the use of soy sauce in the jerk marinade made it too dark to be rescued by the red food colouring. They were more red than our normal jerk chicken, but not quite the spooky blood-red Halloween-style wings I was going for. 

They were marinated overnight (10am Friday - 6pm Saturday) and the flavours were really strong and my Mum particularly enjoyed the wings. The marinade can be used on a range of different foods, so make sure to save this recipe for other non-Halloween days too.

Enjoy!  

Hazel :)


***


***


Dietary Info:

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{It's only the chicken making this unsuitable for vegetarians, so you could marinate anything else in it: tofu, chickpeas, even things like cauliflower and carrots for a flavoursome side dish. See here for some inspiration.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See above.}

-Dairy Free

-Contains Gluten

{Try to find a gluten-free soy sauce or make find a gluten free jerk chicken recipe. Also, double check your ketchup, mine was fine, but some aren't.}

-No Nuts

-Marinade for a side dish


Prep: 10 mins (+overnight marinating)

Cook: 40 mins

Makes: enough sauce for 1.2kg chicken wings or 10 - 12 drumsticks


Ingredients:

-2 tbsp jerk seasoning {I used Schwartz Jamaican Jerk.}

-3 tbsp soy sauce {This is where I think mine failed in terms of red-ness, the soy sauce made the marinade really dark and this was difficult to combat with red food colouring. If doing jerk chicken, I would suggest using the black food colouring to make bat wings.}

-3 tbsp malt vinegar

-100g ketchup or sriracha (if you like spicy food) {I used 50g as I didn't want it too sweet, but I still wanted it thick enough to stick to the meat.}

-black or red food colouring (enough to turn the jerk seasoning a different colour) {Keep in mind the red will be hard to make really bright.}

-2-3 chicken wings, per person


Method:

1: Combine the jerk seasoning, soy sauce, malt vinegar, black food colouring and ketchup in a bowl. Stir with a fork until there are no lumps and you have a thick sauce.

2: Add in the chicken wings and coat. {Use your hands to make sure they are fully coated.} Then marinate in the fridge overnight. {I think mine were marinating for over 24hrs, I made them at 10am Friday and cooked them at 6pm Saturday.}

3: Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas 6 / 390°F and transfer the marinated wings to a roasting dish and cook for 30 - 40 mins until cooked. {I recently got a meat probe so you are looking for an internal temperature of 75°C+ or until the juices run clear and the inside it white.}

4: For the ultimate Halloween dish, serve with Spooky Swamp Gnocchi.



While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/41t8Kft

Comments

Popular Posts