Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

The Perfect: Vegetable Tagine

Hi, this recipe is from the Guardian's special edition 'Feast: Vegetarian', page 3 by Felicity Cloake or fine online here. I have also made the Pasta ai Funghi and Vegetarian Chilli from this edition, if you are interested.

This recipe was okay. I thought it tasted nice but that was a controversial opinion in my house. My family couldn't pinpoint exactly what flavour it was that they didn't like, just that the combination of them wasn't appealing to them. Oh well. It's not that they don't like tagines as I've made a Vegan 'Ch*cken' Tagine and a Chicken and Olive Tagine that have gone down well before. So, it really was the flavours of this one, perhaps it was the swede and butternut squash combination with prunes? Well, all it means is I have the leftovers to eat!

Leftovers of this tagine would be nice with a jacket potato, mash, couscous, pitta bread or the sage focaccia I made earlier this week. Also, I enjoyed having the harissa to try with the tagine and will be making some more recipes with it soon.

Lastly, this recipe uses squash, as I am on a bit of a squash roll this autumn, but you could swap it for pumpkins, carrots or sweet potato as well.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***

***



Dietary Info:

-Vegetarian

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See below, and use maple syrup instead of honey.}

-Contains Dairy

{Use oil or plant-based spread in place of butter.}

-Gluten Free

-Contains Nuts

{Leave out the almonds.}


Prep: 15 min

Cook: 1 hr

Serves: 6 {Can freeze leftovers, would advise freezing without the nuts though.}


Ingredients:

-2 tbsp olive oil

-2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced {I used 2 brown onions, but one red and one brown or two red would be good too. It's reasonably sweet the tagine, so the red onions would add to the flavour nicely.}

-4 garlic cloves , peeled and thinly sliced

-1½ tsp ground ginger

-1 tsp turmeric powder

-1 cinnamon stick

-¼ tsp saffron threads {I left these out as we didn't have any.}

-600g winter squash or sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces {I used 500g frozen butternut squash pieces.}

-400g baby turnips, quartered or halved if on the large side {I used a 400g swede, which I chopped into chunky pieces, about 2 x 4 or 2 x 5cm.}

-500ml vegetable stock {I needed much more stock than this, I ended up with just over 1l because 500ml just didn't cover everything.}

-300g soft prunes

-1 preserved lemon, skin only, finely chopped {I added about 1 tbsp lemon juice.}

-1 tbsp butter {See below.}

-50g blanched almonds {I just scattered with plain flaked almonds.}

-2 tbsp honey {I tasted ours and it didn't need any extra sweetness, so I left it out.}

-50g green olives, pitted

-1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained

-1 small bunch fresh coriander

-Harissa, to serve


Method:

1: Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan {I used our stewing pot.} for which you have a lid over a medium heat, then fry the onions until soft and translucent. {You may need more oil and some salt and pepper, if the heat is very high.} Stir in the garlic and spices, and cook for another couple of minutes, until you can smell the spices.

2: Add the squash and turnips, then stir in the vegetable stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to clean it. {I didn't scrape the pan as it just looked like burnt bits, so I didn't want them floating around in the tagine.}

3: Add the prunes and preserved lemon skin, bring to a simmer, then cover. Turn the heat right down and leave to simmer for 30-40 minutes, {Mine only needed 30mins.} until the vegetables are soft.

4: Meanwhile, fry the almonds in the butter until golden, then set aside. {I didn't do this as we had some flaked almonds that I could scatter on top.} Stir the honey, olives and chickpeas into the pan, taste and season if necessary, then roughly chop the coriander and scatter over the top along with the almonds.



While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/779qdbe

Comments

Popular Posts