Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Jerk Chicken

Hi, I got this from This video and it starts at 9:19. It's by a lady called Olivia Jarvis and she has a few good recipes on her YouTube and has recently published a recipe book. As the video called for  a pre-made sauce and we didn't have one, I used a jerk chicken recipe that we use frequently in our house and I just took the sauce part of it. Unfortunately, we've had this recipe for so long and it was just cut out from a magazine that I'm not entirely sure where it came from. Enjoy!!!

The Recipe:
It only serves one and I was making it for 3 so I will add quantities in {} plus anything else I found. Also, if using microwave rice cook according to packet instructions and make sure you leave enough time for it to cook properly. As I used a rice cooker, before doing anything, I put it on to cook because it takes around 20mins and it will keep warm if I am not ready. Tip: You may want to prepare your salad in advance. This will lead to less stress when plating up.

Dietary Info:
-Gluten Free, Check rice for cross-contamination though
-No Nuts, unless adding them into the salad
-Contains Dairy, but substitutions can be made
-Unsuitable for Vegans/vegetarians
-Suitable for Pescatarians

Nutritional Info, This is off of the video and only correct if you follow this recipe exactly like with the salad and the sauce you use ,so make sure to take any substitutions you make into account.

Calories: 460
Fat: 4g
Protein: 47g
Carbs: 56g

 
Ingredients:
-1/2 an onion {1+1/2 You can keep the spare half in the fridge in clingfilm or a tub for up to just over a week}
-A splash of olive oil {I used extra virgin}
-174g chicken breast {I think we had about 3 chicken breasts maybe a bit less}
-1tsp (17g) Reggae Reggae jerk bbq sauce,  {I just made the quantity below and I did have some left over after dunking the pieces of chicken}
-A pinch of garlic granules and all purpose seasoning {I used around 1tsp dried mixed herbs, a dash of mild chilli powder and about 1/2tsp chilli flakes}
-30g plain yogurt {I used full-fat greek yogurt and I accidentally did 120g instead of 90g so it was slightly runnier but it made it taste more like a curry}
-10g almond milk {I used 30g whole milk}
-145g of Mexican style Waitrose microwave rice {I made my rice in a rice cooker and I did 2 special rice cooker cups of plain rice and filled it up with enough water and then everyone had 1/4 so I'm not certain on quantities I used sorry}
-Mixed salad, {she used rocket, mixed seeds and balsamic vinegar. I used lettuce, spinach, 3 chopped Brazil nuts, carrot and cucumber}

Method:
1: Make the jerk sauce and then finely chop up your onion. {I cut them in half, then peel each half by chopping the stalks and stems from the top and bottom and then taking the skin off. Once that's done, follow the semi-circle lines round making sure to keep the onion together and then chopping the other way so you have little dice. There's a link here if you need it but my Food Tech teacher taught me}
2: Add the olive oil to a shallow frying pan, {I used a wok} and heat up.
3: When hot, add the diced onion and fry until translucent.
4: While the onion's frying, chop up the chicken breast into chunks and coat them the sauce you made earlier. Remember to stir the onion every now and then as well.
5: Once the onion's see-through, add the chicken and fry until white in the centre. Also, add your seasoning/herbs and spices of your choice {Don't worry if you have excess sauce it will keep in the fridge for roughly a week.}
6: Keep mixing. Now, add the yogurt and milk and stir.
7: When satisfied, serve with the rice and salad.

 

Jerk chicken with coconut rice and peas:
This is the entire recipe from the magazine but I will make the bits I used in bold for you. I actually made one chicken breast of this for my sister as she prefers it plain. So I'll add in anything extra but it won't be in the bold section as that may get a bit confusing. Enjoy!!

 Dietary Info: {For the whole dish, the sauce info is in bold}
-Dairy-Free
-Dairy Free ,also
-Gluten-Free
-Gluten Free, but the rice may have been made near gluten products
-No Nuts
-No Nuts
-Vegan/Vegetarian
-Unsuitable for Vegans/Vegetarians

The magazine came with its nutritional Info so I thought I would add it:
Calories: 575
Sugar: 11g
Fat: 11g
Saturates: 4-8g
Salt: 1-1g

This is for the whole meal assuming you only have 1 chicken leg.


Ingredients:
-2tbsp jerk seasoning
-100g (3+1/2oz) tomato ketchup
-3tbsp soy sauce
-3tbsp malt vinegar
-1tbsp dark brown sugar {we leave this out as it makes it too sweet}
-6 large chicken drumsticks
For the rice: 
-1tbsp olive oil
-1 onion, chopped
-1 garlic clove, finely chopped
-200ml (7fl oz) reduced-fat coconut milk
-400ml (13+1/2fl oz)
-300g (10oz) basmati rice, rinsed and drained
-1x400g can black eyed beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
-2 sprigs thyme
-100g frozen peas

Method:
1: Combine the jerk seasoning, ketchup, soy, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Add the drumsticks and coat. {If using a chicken breast, I cut mine up into 3 chunks and then coated them.} Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight. {I did overnight} {If you dunk them in the sauce and transfer them to a foil-lined ovenproof dish to chill, you can save washing up because you can cook it in that tin as well.}

2: When you're ready to BBQ, season the chicken and cook for about 45mins, turning every so often until cooked through and the chicken juices run clear. If the drumsticks colour too quickly, move them to a cooler part of the grate. If cooking in the oven, preheat to gas 5/ 190℃/170℃ fan/ 375℉. Arrange the chicken in a roasting tin and cook for 50mins {Unless it's aready in a dish}, turning halfway, until browned and the chicken juices run clear. {Nearing the end of cooking, I had to cover the top with foil so that they didn't burn on top. Also, check the chicken is cooked by cutting it and seeing if it's white, if it is, it's ready if it's pink, definitely not ready}

3: Meanwhile, make the rice. Heat the oil in a shallow-sided pan with a lid. Gently fry the onion for 5mins, until softened. Add all the remaining ingredients except the frozen peas. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15mins until the rice is tender and almost no liquid remains. Add the peas without stirring, set aside for 10mins with the lid on, then fluff up the rice with a fork. Serve rice with the chicken.

Comments

Popular Posts