Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

'No Chicken' Noodle Soup

Hi, this recipe is from Tesco's free in-store magazine from January 2022 page 62 by Derek Sarno or find online here.

This soup was cooked nicely and has potential to be a real hit. I say this because my family found it a bit bland, which is understandable as I didn't add the garlic and herb nooch seasoning because I thought we had some garlic and onion granules which I could add instead. But, long story short, we didn't. Therefore my soup wasn't bad, it was well cooked and tasted fine, it just wasn't anything special either. To combat this, my parents added some soy sauce to theirs and it was very nice.

Next time, I would use 2 different types of beans, maybe black eyed beans or lentils for a bit of variety, definitely include the seasoning and/or add soy sauce. Add some fresh ginger and/or some chillies when cooking the onions too. Now, if you're not vegan, you could add some meat to it as well, this is an easy way to add extra flavours as the meat releases them while cooking. If not, stick with the suggestions above.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)






Dietary Info:

-Vegan

-Vegetarian

-Dairy Free

-No Nuts

-Contains Gluten

{Switch the spaghetti for some gluten-free pasta or use rice noodles.}

-Main Meal


Serves: 4

Takes: 50mins


Ingredients:

-3 x 150g packs Tesco Finest king oyster mushrooms {I was unable to get any of these, so I had to use closed cup mushrooms. These didn't give the best meat-like texture but I could tell that with oyster mushrooms it would've worked better.}

-1 tbsp olive oil

-1 large onion, roughly chopped

-3 small carrots, roughly chopped {I also peeled them.}

-3 celery sticks, roughly chopped

-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

-1 tsp smoked paprika

-1/2 tsp turmeric

-1 tsp onion granules {I didn't have any of these.}

-1 tsp ground black pepper

-5 tbsp Wicked Kitchen garlic & herb nooch seasoning {I didn't buy any of this, but it was a common consensus that it definitely would've made the dish more flavourful, so don't skimp out on a fancy seasoning this time.}

-200g dried linguine, broken in half {I used spaghetti.}

-1 bay leaf (optional)

-2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

-100g baby spinach, kale or spring greens {I completely forgot to do this on the night, but I did try it with some leftovers and it was very nice.}

-15g fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped


IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT LINGUINE, TRY USING SPAGHETTI INSTEAD


Method:

1: To shred the mushrooms, hold the cap and run a fork along the length of the mushroom – it will start to splinter into shreds like pulled pork. Break apart with your hands to make long 1-2cm-wide pieces. {If you don't have oyster mushrooms, this may go a bit badly. For me, I got chicken-like pieces when cutting the stalk of closed cup mushrooms, but no-where else, so it was a bit touch and go.}

2: Heat the oil in a very large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 10-15 mins, {Mine took about 7 -10mins.} stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, season with a little salt and stir well. Cook for 5 mins or until the mushrooms start to reduce. {There will be some water released from the mushrooms as well, don't worry, it will just add extra liquid to the soup.}

3: Stir in the smoked paprika, turmeric, onion granules, black pepper and nooch seasoning. Add 2ltrs boiling water, {I would suggest using vegetable stock for more flavour.} the pasta and bay leaf (if using), then stir in the cannellini beans. Season well, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins until the pasta is tender.

4: Stir through the kale or spring greens and most of the parsley, then cook for 6 mins to wilt (if using spinach, simmer for 3 mins). Divide between 4 large bowls and top with the remaining parsley to serve.




While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/65i4pzH

Comments

Popular Posts