Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Vegetable and Salmon Frittata

Hi, this recipe is from Tesco's January 2022 magazine, page 79 by Emma Lately alternatively find online here.

This frittata was a hit in my house and left clean plates all round. For my younger sister, I did give her salmon, peas, sweetcorn and cheese in a separate frying pan as she doesn't like the mixed veg that I used, but even she liked the base of a frittata. I used tinned salmon in place of fresh fillets and it worked very well - it was a good, cheap substitute. You could also use tuna or another tinned fish if you prefer in the frittata as well. I think a tuna and sweetcorn (with some wilted spinach) frittata would be nice, especially on a wrap or in a sandwich. Or try my paneer and pea frittata recipe for another different flavour combination.

I served this dish with some boiled potatoes on the side but because it's so hot at the minute I let them cool down a bit while the frittata was resting so they weren't piping hot to eat. You could turn them into a potato salad with some mayonnaise and herbs, if you like as well or pop them into the frittata (you may have to increase egg quantities to cover) and make a spanish omelette (tortilla). 

Lastly, you can use any fillings you like in this frittata and for a main meal, serve with a source of carbohydrates (e.g. potatoes, bread, rice etc...). A general rule of thumb is 2 eggs per person. I served this frittata recipe between 4 people and it worked well. For another recipe idea, have a look at this barbequed red pepper and ham frittata recipe. 

Enjoy!

Hazel :)

***


***



Dietary Info:

-Main Meal

-Side Dish

-No Nuts

-Gluten Free 

{To serve, try boiled potatoes or G-F couscous.}

-Contains Dairy

{Use a plant-based milk alternative, I suggest oat milk. Make sure it is unsweetened though.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{In place of the fish, you could try using chunks of Vegetarian Butcher 'What the Cluck' chunks, or slice up some vegetarian 'sausages' to add. Or use paneer or tofu chunks. You could also add some lentils or chickpeas, about 1 x 400g tin should be fine.However if you want a fishy taste, I am not 100% sure what to do. I once read a recipe where they added seaweed to the Vegan fish to try to replicate the fishy flavour. So, if  you wanted to try that you could.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{See above 2 points. For the eggs, the only substitute I reckon that may work is the JUST eggs. These cook and give the most egg-like consistency that I have seen from a vegan egg. The 'normal' vegan egg replacement of chia seeds and water will obviously not work in a frittata.}


***

***



Serves: 6 {As a side e.g. serving with just salad or 3-4 as a main e.g. if serving with potatoes or bread etc.}

Prep: 5mins

Cook: 45mins {Depends on if you are roasting the veg or just frying it.}


Ingredients:

-350g frozen Mediterranean chargrilled vegetables (from a 700g pack) {I used one red pepper, cut into squares, 1/2 a very large red onion, sliced, a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved and a large clove of garlic, finely chopped.}

-260g pack boneless salmon fillets {I used a 216g tin of salmon, this way I didn't have to cook any salmon myself.}

-8 medium eggs

-100ml semi-skimmed milk {I used whole milk.}

-1 tbsp olive oil


Method:

1: Preheat the oven to gas 6 / 200°C / fan 180°C / 390℉. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer in a roasting tin and roast for 15 mins. Place the salmon on top of the veg, skin side up, and roast for another 10 mins. Set aside for 5-10 mins or until cool enough to handle. {If you are not using the 'frozen Mediterranean chargrilled vegetables (from a 700g pack)' then I suggest just frying the veg like you would onion and garlic for the base of pretty much anything. I fried the onion, red pepper and tomatoes over a medium-low heat in olive oil, before adding some garlic too. Also, if using tinned salmon, there's no need to cook it.}

2: Preheat the grill to medium-high. Whisk the eggs and milk in a large jug; season. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a low heat, then add the egg mixture. Flake the salmon into bite-sized pieces and scatter evenly into the pan, along with the roasted veg. {It's easier to put the veg and fish in first and ensure it's evenly spread across the pan. If you are doing as I did, the veg will already be in the pan.} Cook, without stirring, for 8 mins.

3: Put the pan under the grill for 6-8 mins until cooked through and the centre is firm. {Be careful not to melt the handle of your pan if it is not ovenproof, I had to have the oven door open so this didn't happen to us.} Use a knife to pierce the centre: if it is still liquid, grill for another 2-3 mins, then check again. Leave to cool for 5 mins before serving. {I served with some spinach and boiled potatoes with butter.}


While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/6scCBty

Comments

Popular Posts