Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Warm Chicken Liver & Beetroot Salad

Hi, this recipe is from Tesco's January 2022 magazine page 35 as part of their 'Cook once, Eat twice' range of recipe's. I have made the Creamy Chicken Liver and Tagliatelle before and now am doing the 'Eat twice' section. However, this is not quite accurate as I deliberately didn't cook the full quantity of chicken livers and onions last time as I wasn't sure when I would be making the salad. So, I have included the correct quantities of all ingredients in this recipe for 4 people's food right now, if however you have made the previous meal and have leftover liver and onions, as specified in the original recipes here and here, then you don't need to remake just the right quantity of liver and onions now. I hope that made sense!

Now, I'm not going to lie but this salad was not nice. I halved the recipe for 2 people (me and my Mum) and although we ate our share, we were not rushing to make this recipe again. In part, this was probably due to me overcooking the chicken livers. If you didn't know, they are supposed to remain a bit pink inside, like a rare/medium-rare steak, but I didn't know this so continued trying to cook them till they were brown throughout. This left a pasty, weird textured liver that wasn't very nice. However, the flavour of the livers was not our favourite anyway so my cooking is only partly to blame. 

Also, the beetroot wasn't very complementary of the livers. So if I made this again, I would use pickled beetroot as that has a bit more flavour to it or pickled red cabbage with chicken breast or thighs.

Lastly, the dressing was quite acidic for us, I would taste before adding any vinegar / lemon juice as you may only need one. I hope this feedback was helpful and you can make a much nicer version of this salad than we did.

Enjoy!

Hazel :)


***


***



Dietary Info:

-Main Meal

-No Nuts

-Dairy Free

-Contains Gluten

{Serve with gluten-free bread or pulse pasta or rice instead, or boiled potatoes instead of the wholemeal bloomer.}

-Unsuitable for Vegans

{Instead of the chicken liver, use a vegan chicken alternative such as What the Cluck, or use chunks of tofu seasoned well. You could also use Vegan chicken nugget alternatives or 1 x 400g chickpeas, maybe roasting them as in this peanut butter miso chickpea salad. Use some croutons on top inplace of bacon or a good substitute or some seeds or walnuts. Or salted peanuts for the crunch and salt.}

-Unsuitable for Vegetarians

{See above.}


***

***



Serves: 4

Takes: 30 mins to an hour 


Ingredients:

-10g unsalted butter {You can use margarine or ghee if you prefer.}

-1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp

-2 onions, thinly sliced {I used brown onions and would recommend you do too.}

-1 x 380g packs chicken livers

-4 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp

-1 tbsp Dijon mustard

-1 tbsp white wine vinegar

-1/2 lemon, juiced

-1 tsp clear honey

-1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh dill {I used 1/2 tbsp dried.}

-1 garlic clove, crushed

-200g pack bacon lardons

-100g pack butterhead salad {I used butterhead lettuce.}

-200g Redmere Farms cooked beetroot (about 2 from a 500g pack), quartered

-4 slices seeded multigrain bloomer bread, toasted {I served with buttered, wholemeal pittas.}


Method:

1: Set a large nonstick frying pan over a low-medium heat and melt the butter with 1 tbsp oil. Gently fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 20 mins, stirring often, until golden and soft. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Set aside.

2: Meanwhile, cut away and discard any fat and sinew from the livers. Pat the livers dry and slice into thin strips (a little over 0.5cm wide). Tip the flour into a shallow bowl, add the livers and toss to coat. {When I did this some of the smaller bits of livers just turned to mush, so make sure to do this gently, maybe adopt a dipping approach where you dip each liver separately into some flour.}

3: Heat 1 tsp oil in the pan you used for the onions. Add the livers and cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 mins until brown, crisp and cooked through. {They should be light pink inside still, google some pictures if you are unsure. However, I would suggest cooking for about 5-7 mins if you are worried. I cooked mine for around 10-12 mins and they were very over cooked.} Add to the bowl of onions. Season well.

4: Pour 4 tbsp oil into a small jar with the mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, dill and garlic. Screw on the lid, then shake vigorously to emulsify. Season to taste, shake again and set aside.

5: Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in a nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the lardons for 3-4 mins until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Pour off most of the fat from the pan, leaving about 1 tsp. Add the liver and onions, then stir over a medium heat for 2-3 mins or until piping hot. {This step is only if you made the liver and onions way in advance, so not today in steps 1-3.} Remove from the heat.

6: Divide the salad leaves between 4 plates and top with the warmed liver and onions, the beetroot quarters and the warm bacon lardons. Drizzle over the dressing and serve with the toast.




While you're here...

I have a Pinterest for all my recipes, where you can save them to boards for the future and categorise them into different types of recipe e.g Sunday Dinners, picnic ideas etc. My account is @hazellikestocook, or find the link below. Also, I have a whole blog post explaining this in more detail here and https://hazelscookingandbakingblog.blogspot.com/2021/02/pinterest.html. 

https://pin.it/5xDvARk - my profile

This recipe:

https://pin.it/7nXKnye

Comments

Popular Posts