Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Jericho French Onion Soup

Hi, this is not just a fabulous recipe, but also the starter to my Music Themed Father's Day meal, check out the link to see what I made for main course and pudding as well as my inspiration behind picking this recipe. As the soup was a starter, I didn't want it to be too filling so I took out the cheese on toast at the bottom of the bowl to make it a bit lighter. However, if planning to serve this as the main course of a meal, then I would advise serving with the cheesy toast or any other bread for dipping/soaking up the soup. The elimination of wine was just my personal preference and I found that it actually tasted quite nice with the tomato juice but feel free to do whatever you fancy. Enjoy!!



Dietary Info:
-Contains Gluten {Easily changed though, just use a Gluten-Free bread option}
-Contains Dairy {You can always either skip out the cheese or use a dairy-free one}
-No Nuts
-Suitable for Vegetarians
-Unsuitable for Vegans {But can be quickly adapted by using no or Vegan cheese}

Ingredients:
-4 oz of butter (feel free to reduce this) {110-115g. I reduced it to 2oz/50g of butter altogether, although that was done with 1oz/25g of unsalted butter that I had leftover from another recipe and just a spoonful of margarine to increase amounts}
-3 to 4 Yellow Onions {These are the same as brown onions. Also, I chose to use 4. Remember to chop them up as well!}
-1 Head of Garlic {This is one bulb or roughly 5-10 cloves. I used 4-5cloves of garlic, finely chopped.}
-2 (or more) Sprigs of Thyme, Oregano, Tarragon, Bay Leaves, or Rosemary {We don't have any fresh sprigs of herbs so I used about 1tbsp of dried thyme, which, for obvious reasons, couldn't remove later, but, it did add a nice flavour to the soup.}
-1 tsp Flour (optional) {I used whole meal flour}
-1 Pint Beef Broth {I used a 2 and 1/2 Beef OXO stock cubes with a pint of hot water}
-1 Pint Water {Boiling}
-1 cup Red Wine {Beef stock or Tomato juice is a good substitute if you don't want to consume alcohol. I used tomato juice. 1 cup = 235ml}
-Salt and Pepper
-1 Loaf of Bread {You will only need 4 slices of it}
-4 Slices of Cheese (Works great with Sweet Rowen cheddar)

Method:
1:Melt the butter at the bottom of a large pot {saucepan} and add the chopped onions and garlic and a dash of salt {This should stop it from browning, as you just want the onions translucent. But, if you're like me, you'll end up accidentally burning the bottom of the onions anyway!}. Add your herbs in a neat bundle, as you will be removing them later. Cook on low, covered, for 30 minutes until the onions are translucent but not burnt {oops}. Remove the herbs {If possible}. Add a teaspoon of flour and stir well, so there are no clumps. {I would recommend using a whisk, if after adding your liquids, there are still a few lumps}
2:Add your broth, water, wine, and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
3:This is a great chance to cover slices of bread with cheese, and toast them in a toaster oven or broil them in your oven. {Or you can make cheese on toast under the grill or any other way that you normally make cheese on toast}
4:When everything is ready, put the bread at the bottom of the bowl, and ladle the soup on top. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts