Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Rendang Beef and Cauli Rice

Hi, this recipe is from Jamie Oliver's '5 Ingredients, Quick and Easy Food' Cooking Book. This recipe does have 5 main ingredients, but you do also have to add Olive oil and seasoning, I've put a note on the recipe for you, so don't worry about forgetting! Unfortunately, this recipe wasn't a huge hit with my family, I liked it, as did my dad, but others weren't too keen. I think that the rice was a bit bland, so next time I would fry it, instead of microwaving it to heat it through, and would probably add in some garlic and some spices, maybe turmeric... Then, I would have added an onion to the mince mix and maybe a chilli as well, for an extra kick, with a few more spices e.g garam masala, just to give it a bit more depth. However, the meal wasn't bad, I polished off my plate of food easily and now know that I like rendang and I also enjoy cauliflower rice, things that if I saw on a menu I could order with confidence that I would have a nice meal. Enjoy!!

Dietary Info:
-Gluten-Free
-No Nuts
-Dairy-Free
-Unsuitable for Vegans/Vegetarians {You could substitute the meat for an alternative e.g Quorn, or chickpeas}






Serves 4
Total Time: 24mins

Nutritional Information:
For 1 serving: (1/4 of the beef and 1/4 of the rice)
CALORIES: 333kcal
FAT: 16g
SAT FAT: 8.5g
PROTEIN: 33.7g
CARBS: 12.5g
SUGAR: 8.2g
SALT: 0.9g
FIBRE: 4.1g


Ingredients:
-500g lean minced beef
-1 head of cauliflower (800g)
-1 heaped tsp rendang powder {This is available at Asian supermarkets in the Malaysian section}
-1 bunch fresh mint (30g) {I didn't use this, as we don't have any growing at the moment and instead added 1tbsp mixed herbs}
-1x400g tin light coconut milk
{You will also need salt&pepper and 1tbsp olive oil, I used extra virgin}

Method:
1: Place the minced beef in a large shallow casserole pan {I used a wok} with 1tbsp of olive oil, then break it up and fry on a high heat stirring regularly. {Fry until browned and cooked all the way through} Click off {That is turn off the hob for the mince for the time being} and discard any tatty outer leaves from the cauliflower, putting the nice leaves into a food processor.Halve the cauliflower, breaking up one half into the food processor as you go. Cut little bite-sized florets off the other half into the mince pan, chucking all the stalks into the food processor as you go. Stir the rendang powder into the pan and cook it all for 10mins, or until crispy, stirring regularly. {Remember to turn the hob back on!!}
2: Meanwhile, pick half the mint leaves into the food processor, add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and blitz until fine. Tip into a heat proof bowl, cover and microwave on high for 4-5mins. {We don't have a microwave so I put mine in an oven-proof dish, covered with tin foil and put in a hot oven, about 200℃ fan, for 10-15mins, just so it was warm} Reserving the baby leaves, pick the remaining mint leaves into the pan, toss well, then pour in the coconut milk and half a tins worth of water. Bring to the boil, simmer for 5mins, then taste, season to perfection, and scatter over the reserved mint leaves. Give the cauli rice a good mix up, and serve on the side.

Comments

Popular Posts