Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Spam Musubi

Hi, this recipe is from https://tasty.co/recipe/spam-musubi  and was very nice; I can definitely see the appeal in Hawaii! Unfortunately, as I used long-grain rice, it wasn't sticky enough to hold everything together so I served everything separately. Next week, I want to try again with a different sushi recipe and see how that goes. Fingers crossed we can get some sushi or short grain rice in! The original recipe serves one and I was cooking for 4 and so I have put all re-measured measurements below in case they are helpful. Enjoy!

Dietary Info:
-Gluten Free {All rice should be gluten free in its natural form}
-Dairy Free
-No Nuts
-Unsuitable for Vegans/Vegetarians {Although, according to this article it's possible to get Vegan Spam but I am unsure if it's true? https://www.behance.net/gallery/78319401/Vegan-SPAM}
-Suitable for Pescatarians

NUTRITIONAL INFO: {Based on one serving}
Calories: 682
Fat: 14g
Carbs: 120g
Fiber: 3g
Sugar: 9g
Protein: 9g

For 4 persons

Ingredients:
For the sushi rice:
-1/2 cup short grain white rice (100g) {I used long grain and it didn't work as it wasn't sticky enough to hold everything together and so the sushi wouldn't hold its shape} {2 cups or 400g}
-1/2cup water (120ml) {2 cups or 480ml}
-1tsp sugar {4tsp}
-1/4tsp kosher salt {1tsp}
-1tbsp rice vinegar {4tbsp}
For the Spam Musubi:
-1tbsp canola oil {I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil} {1tbsp will still be fine as long as the bottom of your frying pan (skillet) is lightly covered}
-1/4 Spam, sliced in half lengthways (1 12oz can (340g)) {1 340g tin}
-1tbsp water { I would keep this the same as add as needed because I had a lot of this glaze leftover when I increased it by 4x}
-1tbsp soy sauce {I would keep this the same as add as needed because I had a lot of this glaze leftover when I increased it by 4x}
-1tbsp sugar {I would keep this the same as add as needed because I had a lot of this glaze leftover when I increased it by 4x}
-2 strips of nori, 2" wide (5cm) { 8 strips}

Method:
1: Rinse the rice in cool water until the water runs clear, to remove excess starch. {I placed all my rice in a sieve to to this, don't try with a colander though as this won't work. }
2: In a small pot {saucepan}, combine the rice and the water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10mins. Remove the pot {Saucepan} from the heat and leave the rice to rest, covered, for another 15mins.
3: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and vinegar. Microwave for 1 minute, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. {I did this over the hob, just put all ingredients in a small frying pan or saucepan over a medium-high heat and stir until all the sugar has dissolved}
4: Transfer the rice to a medium bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over the rice. Stir with a spatula to combine. Set aside. {I stirred with a wooden spoon, aside from using the wrong rice, stirring with a wooden spoon may have also contributed to it not sticking together}
5: Heat the canola oil in a large non-stick skillet {I used a large frying pan}over a  medium-high heat. Add the Spam slices and cook on each side for about 2-3mins, until golden brown and crispy.
6: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, and sugar.
7: Reduce the heat to low and pour the soy sauce mixture into the skillet. Let the sauce get bubbly and thick. Coat the Spam slices evenly in the glaze, turning as needed. Remove the pan from the heat.
8: Clean the Spam can and line with plastic wrap. Add a packed ⅓ cup of rice into the bottom of the can, pressing down firmly. Add a piece of cooked Spam on top and press down firmly again. Use the plastic wrap to lift the rice and Spam from the can and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
9: Lay a strip of nori, shiny side down, on a clean surface. Place the Spam and rice stack at the center on top and wrap the nori around, using a little water on your finger to seal the nori. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
10: Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts