Skip to main content

Featured

Full English Breakfast

Hi, this recipe is my own and serves one, but can easily be scaled up for more! I have previously made an Easy full english and a Vegan full english , if you want to have a look at those too.  This was much faster to make than I had anticipated and everything came together at the just right time, which is always a bit of a worry with having so many pans on the go at once (and things under the grill too!). You can change up how you cook the egg (I did scrambled) but some other options are poached, boiled, fried or even baked eggs (think Shakshuka-style).  Traditionally, you may also have fried bread, fried or grilled tomatoes and black pudding, so feel free to add those too. And, is usually served with a nice cup of tea. Enjoy! Hazel  Dietary Info: -Unsuitable for Vegans {Use my vegan full english recipe and add vegan sausages to it, if desired.} -Unsuitable for Vegetarians {See above.} -Contains Dairy {Use a dairy-free butter or spread.} -Contains Gluten {Use a gluten-free bread for

Meat Ravioli and Cheese Ravioli with a Tomato and Basil sauce

 Hi, these ravioli were really nice and very filling. There was enough for 4 of us and a bit of leftover filling which we all polished off too. The Ragu and Tomato sauce recipe are from 'Cool Kids Cook' by Jenny Chandler and they were great quality and would make them again not just for this dish. The cheese filling recipe was taken from the BBC food from a full pasta recipe but as I already and my dough sorted and another filling, I just halved it.  The dough recipes, I found on Pinterest and followed the link, they were a bit confusing to begin with but I got the hang of what it meant. Links are below. Also, the dietary Info, is for each recipe this time but for the altogether dish, have a look at the labels. Enjoy!!!

Cheese Filling

Dough Recipes














How to put it all together:
1: First, make the pasta dough and leave to rest.
2: Now begin to make the Ragu and when you get to a point where it needs to bubble unsupervised to simmer for a bit, or you have some spare time, make the cheese filling.
3: Once the cheese filling is completed, just set aside until the ragu is done.
4: For the Ragu, I had to shorten some times as I needed it to be done so if it said put on a low heat for 15mins I would have it on a medium-high heat for as long as I thought sufficient for that step.
5: When everything it ready and prepeared, flour the work-surface and roll out one of your doughs. It doesn't matter which order.
6: Then when you have reached a nice thickness, I would suggest pretty thin as you're going to put 2 on top of each other so you don't want it too thick, cut out circles with a cutter or the rim of a glass.
7: Keep doing this until you have no dough left.
8: Now, take a teaspoon of the filling,I did cheese and garlic and meat and tomato, and place it in the centre of a circle. Wet the edges with a little water, place another circle on top and press together with either a fork or your fingers.
9: When the first dough is done, repeat with the second one.
10: Now, make the tomato and basil sauce or you could've made it earlier and just reheat it now.
11: While the sauce is being made, boil a kettle and when ready pour into a large saucepan over a high-ish heat.
12: Now doing as many as will fit into your pan at a time, mine was 4, lower the ravioli into the water with a spoon and leave to boil until they rise to the top. This means they are ready.
13: Serve with the sauce and a salad


Tomato and Garlic Pasta Dough:
This recipe if following to to correct measurements would serve 4 but because I wanted to do two doughs I had to half each recipe. They worked well and would use them again. As I don't own a pasta machine, I had to roll out the dough by hand and so had a bit less than if a machine had done it but either way I reckon it still would've served 4 fine and if not....leftovers!

Dietary Info:
-Contains Gluten {In the flour but I think that you can now purchase Gluten-Free flour at some shops}
-Contains Dairy {In the butter}
-No Nuts
-Vegan
-Vegetarian
-Pescatarian


Tomato Dough:
Ingredients:
-2 cups flour {I used 1 cup}
-3-4 egg yolks {2 egg yolks}
-3tbsp clarified butter {I used 1 and 1/2tbsp of Clover marg}
-1/2tsp salt {I just used a pinch}
-2 to 2+1/2 tomato puree/paste {I just squeezed the tube and added as much as I wanted}
-About 3tbsp water

Method:
1: Pour the flour onto a work surface, shape into a mound and make a hollow in the middle. Add the egg yolks and tomato puree.

2: First using a fork, then your hands, mix all the ingredients into the dough. {I used my hands straight away and had to flour the work-surface to make sure it didn't stick}

3: Roll into a ball and cover with clingfilm.

4: Rest for an hour.

Garlic Dough:
Ingredients:
-3 garlic cloves {I used 2 and I know it's not exactly half but we like garlic}
-1/2tsp salt {I used a pinch}
-2tbsp olive oil {1tbsp}
-2 cups flour {1 cup}
-2 eggs {1 egg}
-1 egg yolk {I tried to do half an egg yolk}
-2tbsp olive oil {1tbsp}
-water as required

Method:
1: Crush the garlic with salt and oil in a bowl.
2: Pour the flour onto a work surface, shape into a mound and make a hollow in the middle. Add the egg yolks and garlic mix.

3: First using a fork and then your hands, mix all the rest of the ingredients into the dough. {I used my hand straight away as it was easier. I had to put flour down on the work-surface when kneading it together.}

4: Roll into a ball and cover with cling film.

5: Rest for an hour

Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce:
This recipe was very nice and made enough for the 4 of us. You could've added some herbs if you wanted too. I also added the leftover tinned tomatoes , about 1/3 of a tin.

Dietary Info:
-Vegan
-Vegetarian/Pescatarian
-Dairy-Free
-Gluten-Free
-No Nuts


Ingredients:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g/14oz cherry tomatoes
- About 20 basil leaves

Method:
1: Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half lengthways.

2: Put the garlic into a large frying pan with the olive oil and place the pan over the lowest heat possible. You're not cooking the garlic, just flavouring the oil.

3: Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the warm pan. The gentle heat will soften the tomatoes and make them taste sweeter and more intense too.

4: Heat the pan for about 10mins then spoon out the garlic (its job is done).

5: Rip the basil leaves into pieces, it's not just about making them smaller - you release the flavour too.


Ragù (Italian), Ragout (French) or Minced Meat Stew:
This recipe actually serves 4 but as I was serving 4 with 2 recipes I halved everything to make it the right amount. It actually made a bit more filling than we had dough so I put the filling on the table for people to take some extra in case they needed to fill up. If you follow the recipe exactly to just make a 4 person ragu, it makes a good meal on its own with some salad or something. TIP: If the mixture gets a bit too dry and begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, just add half a glass of water and give it a good stir.

Dietary Info:
-Contains Dairy, you can substitute the milk though for a dairy free milk if you wanted to.
-Gluten Free
-No Nuts
-Unsuitable for Vegans and Vegetarians
-Suitable for Pescatarian

Ingredients:
-2tbsp Olive Oil or butter
-4 slices of unsmoked bacon, cut into pieces {I used 3 Medallions of Co-Op unsmoked low fat bacon, cut into pieces}
-1 onion, peeled and finely chopped {I used half an onion}
-1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped {I used a small carrot}
-1 celery stick, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed {I used 1 finely chopped}
-500g/1lb 2oz minced beef {I used 250g}
-200ml/1 cup full-fat milk {I used 100ml/1/2cup}
-1x400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes {I used just over 1/2 the can and saved the rest for the sauce}
-2tbsp tomato purée {I used 1tbsp}
-100ml/1/2 cup red wine (or beef stock) {I used 100ml of beef stock because it was looking a bit dry}
-1 bay leaf

Method: 
1: Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the bacon and fry for about 2 mins. {It starts to go pink quite quickly!}

2: Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pan and cook, stirring once in a while, for about 10mins, or until the onion looks soft and mostly translucent. {Mine took about 5-7ish mins}
3: Stir in the garlic and, once you can really smell it, add the minced meat. Crumble the meat in with your fingers so that it doesn't stay in big lumps. Wash your hands well afterwards. Cook over a high heat for about 5mins {I just waited until the meat was browned}.

4: Next, pour in the milk and cook slowly for 10mins before adding the tomatoes, tomato puree and the wine (or stock). Add a pinch of salt, a twist of black pepper and the bay leaf {I don't have a bay leaf}. Allow the mixture to heat up and bubble, then cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to very low and simmer for at least 45mins. {I didn't have enough time so mine was on a medium heat for 25mins}
5: Don't forget to taste before serving. Remember to add seasoning slowly and carefully.



Cheese Filling:
This recipe was off the BBC food and serves 4 so I halved it so that it was enough for 2 because I was using another 2 person recipe and altogether it would be 4 people, which is what I need.

Dietary Info:
-Contains Dairy
-Gluten-Free
-No Nuts {Unless Nutmeg counts?}
-Unsuitable for Vegan
-Vegetarian
-Pescatarian

Ingredients:
-225g of ricotta cheese  {110g , about}
-100g of grated Bel Paese cheese {50g Tesco didn't have this in so I used half a mozzarella ball. The mozzarella was 112g , I think, drained weight so half of it would be about 50g}
-50g of grated Parmesan cheese {25g}
-2 beaten eggs {1 egg}
-And a pinch of grated nutmeg {Still added just a pinch}

Method:
1:Meanwhile, make the filling by putting the ricotta and Bel Paese in a bowl and beat well. Add the rest of the ingredients with another pinch of salt and beat thoroughly.

Comments

Popular Posts